First-year student dies Friday evening

Cause of death undisclosed for Alexandria Roberts, 18

By Allison Kolodziej

A prayer service is planned for Thursday in memory of Alexandria Roberts, 18, a first-year Miami University student who died Friday night. Roberts was outside of Oxford at the time of death, according to university officials.

The university was notified of Roberts' death during the weekend, said Richard Little, director of university communications. Little could not confirm the cause of death and Roberts' family declined to reveal the location or the circumstances.

A resident of Collins Hall, Roberts was an undeclared major who enjoyed art, drawing and singing. She was from Maineville, Ohio, a town on the outskirts of Cincinnati.

Roberts' father remembered Alex's talent in the arts and love for Miami.

"She said one of the greatest days of her life was the day she was accepted into Miami," Mr. Roberts said.

"(Alex) had a lot of friends and she really cared about everyone," her father added later. "She was a really good person."

The resident staff of Collins Hall declined to comment, but the Office of Residence Life and Counseling Services are working together to provide support to those affected. In addition, the hall staff held corridor meetings Sunday night to notify residents of Roberts' death.

Dr. Jim Slager, senior administrative director of Health Services, has been the university contact with the Roberts' family.

"What I got from (her father) is information about the funeral," Slager said. "No cause or location (of death)."

No plans for an on-campus service have been announced.

"Normally memorial services on campus are done by people who know the student," Little said. "We leave it to the students to do this."

Roberts' visitation hours are 4-8 p.m. Wednesday at the T.P. White Funeral Home located at 2050 Beechmont Ave., in the Cincinnati suburb of Mt. Washington.

The prayer service will take place at 1 p.m. Thursday at St. Margaret of Cortona Church, 4100 Watterson St., Cincinnati (Fairfax). An additional service will immediately follow at the cemetery.