Wish lists stay practical

By Eric Moenich
On December 3, 2012

After so much talk surrounding new products such as iPad Minis, the Wii U or the iPhone 5, it seemed probable that students at Miami University would mainly be asking for electronics this holiday season.

However, an informal survey of the student body showed quite a diverse range of gift ideas, from clothing irons to puppies. In fact, students seemed to ask for practical and fun gifts in equal measure for the holidays.

The most popular items on students' wish lists this year seem to be fashion-related. Clothes were the most sought-after item this season, with brands such as Sperry, Lululemon and Patagonia ranking at the top of the list.

"To be honest, I hadn't even heard of these brands before I came here," first-year Kate Sherrer said. "But once I saw them and how many people had them, I really grew to like them too."

However, not all of these in-demand clothes were fashion statements; many people asked for winter boots, vests, dress clothes and other items of necessity.

In fact, a great deal of students are asking for more practical items this season.

"I asked for a new Mac charger since mine died and I need it for school," junior Dallas Ray said. "I also asked for bathroom rugs because my bathroom is boring."

One student even managed to blend practicality with fashion.

"I'm asking for a big suitcase for my time studying abroad," sophomore Hannah Matgouranis said. "I also asked for a matching hat and scarf because they're cute!

In addition to practicality, many motivated students asked for items relating to their careers or majors.

"I'm asking for a book called Purple Cow by Seth Godin," junior Josh Schiets said. "It's really influential to me because I'm a Marketing major. The author talks about leadership and managing organizations which also really appeals to me since I'm in a fraternity."

Electronics encompassed the greatest variety of wish list items, from video games to headphones. Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Assassin's Creed III topped the gamers' lists, while movie fanatics tended ask for The Dark Knight Rises and other popular DVD releases. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre were another top pick, along with laptops, the Kindle Fire and the iPhone 5.

The second most popular item in demand came as a surprise. Many students asked for a pet, most commonly a puppy. There may be an influx of new furry visitors to Oxford after winter break.

Money and gift cards are timeless and versatile, so they were also frequently mentioned on students' lists along with other items such as an A in chemistry or surviving the end of the Mayan Calendar.

The top gift items this holiday season are as diverse as the students and their interests. Here's to a happy holiday season, regardless of what you asked for!