Harry T. Wilks dies at 89
Miami alumnus, trustee and benefactor Harry T. Wilks died today, March 11-his 89th birthday.
If the name sounds familiar, that's because Wilks' $9 million in donations to Miami over the years have led to the creation of a number of iconic fixtures around campus bearing his name. Perhaps the most prominent of these at the moment is the new, state-of-the-art Harry T. Wilks Theater in the Armstrong Student Center, named in recognition of his most recent donation in the sum of $3 million, according to the Miami News website.
Another prominent part of the Wilks legacy on campus is the Harry T. Wilks Leadership Institute, which works to develop leadership skills in students across campus through a number of well-established programs, such as Scholar Leader Leadershape.
His donations have also helped establish the Harry T. Wilks Conference Center, a scholarship program and a lecture series at Miami Hamilton, according to the Miami News website.
The 1948 alumnus became further intertwined with Miami in 2008 when he joined the board of trustees.
"Harry leaves an enormous legacy at Miami and in the Hamilton community," President David Hodge said on the Miami News website. "He was one of the most creative and imaginative people I have ever met, and he lived life with an irrepressible joy that inspired everyone around him. He will be greatly missed and long remembered."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?