Harry T. Wilks dies at 89

By Emily Crane

Miami alumnus, trustee and benefactor Harry T. Wilks died today, March 11-his 89th birthday.

If the name sounds familiar, that's because Wilks' $9 million in donations to Miami over the years have led to the creation of a number of iconic fixtures around campus bearing his name. Perhaps the most prominent of these at the moment is the new, state-of-the-art Harry T. Wilks Theater in the Armstrong Student Center, named in recognition of his most recent donation in the sum of $3 million, according to the Miami News website.

Another prominent part of the Wilks legacy on campus is the Harry T. Wilks Leadership Institute, which works to develop leadership skills in students across campus through a number of well-established programs, such as Scholar Leader Leadershape.

His donations have also helped establish the Harry T. Wilks Conference Center, a scholarship program and a lecture series at Miami Hamilton, according to the Miami News website.

The 1948 alumnus became further intertwined with Miami in 2008 when he joined the board of trustees.

"Harry leaves an enormous legacy at Miami and in the Hamilton community," President David Hodge said on the Miami News website. "He was one of the most creative and imaginative people I have ever met, and he lived life with an irrepressible joy that inspired everyone around him.  He will be greatly missed and long remembered."