Hip spring break styles

By Kristin Bell

As spring break comes within sight, Oxford starts to look less and less appealing to the Miami University students (although it could just be the midterms we are suffering through). Either way, we are all itching to get away from the cold! Preferably, we want to go somewhere warm and tropical where we can finally catch some rays without the fear of another winter snowstorm the next day.

On top of everything else you have to do before break, you of course have to find the time to pack too. To make your life a little bit easier, here's a list of clothing necessities for your tropical getaway.

Ladies:

Shorts - Let your legs breathe a little! After bundling them up tight in jeans and fleece-lined leggings all winter, they deserve a chance to be shown off. Tribal prints and neon hues are hot in shorts this season and would look great paired with an oversized tee and a floppy hat.

Skirts - Leave the mini skirts at home and go for a lightweight midi or maxi skirt. A hi-low skirt would be fun for either a day at the beach or a night on the town.

Dresses - Finally you are able to easily throw on a dress without having to find a pair of tights without holes or runs in them. In the daytime, choose a nice lightweight, breezy frock. If you are too hot, cutouts will allow you to stay a bit cooler.

Swimsuits - Duh! This is a beach vacation after all. A bikini is typically a no-brainer, but if you want to spice it up a bit try a monokini. They are a trendy alternative to the norm, but heads up: you might get some interesting tan lines.

Cover-ups - So you may be one to strut your stuff with confidence, but if you don't want to display everything while walking to and from the pool or beach, throw on a brightly colored or printed cover-up.

Sandals - Give your feet a vacation as well and leave your sky-high stilettos back in Oxford. Warm weather calls for relaxation and casual attire, even down to the shoes.

Oversized beach tote - While we love our leather handbags, the beach is not the place for them with the risk of being ruined by sand and salt water. Instead, choose a carryall made of cotton, mesh or raffia.

Gents:

Solid t-shirts - You're on vacation but you still want to keep it classy. Solid tees are a stylish alternative to the obnoxious novelty tees worn by tourists, and can be worn from the beach to the bar.

Chino shorts - At some point cargo shorts just need to go. They will be all over Spring Break and wearing chino shorts instead will distinguish you as a guy with style and confidence. Much more sophisticated and much more likely to be noticed.

Swim trunks - Simple and well-fitting trunks are ideal. Busy prints and faded shorts are not current or trendy, they just look dated. Choose a solid color, or even color-blocked trunks.

Leather sandals - This is a staple for any tropical vacation. Just like for the ladies, more casual footwear is called for on spring break so invest in a good pair of leather sandals. Just don't whip out the plastic flip flops, whatever you do.

Best of luck to all those still finishing up midterms this week. Just remember that spring break is on the horizon!