Miami Club Football

By Conor Sample

After finishing the season with a perfect 8-0 record, Miami University's club football team was crowned with the No. 1 ranking in the National Club Football Association (NCFA), according to the 2012 Rawlings power rankings. As a result the team will play No. 2 Coppin State University for the NCFA national championship next week.

The ranking comes on the heels of a big 19-7 win over Wright State University. The game was low scoring and Miami really showed their mental toughness.  

"The game was a real gut check and I'm proud with the way our players kept fighting," defensive line coach Daniel Segal said.

Along with their win last week, the team has experienced several great victories over the course of the season. Such wins included a 38-10 victory over The Ohio State University Buckeyes, who were the defending NCFA champions.

Several players had standout seasons for the team, including cornerback Malcolm Chester. He had two key interceptions in the win last week and finished the season with nine, which lead the NCFA.

Wide receiver Clayton Brown finished third in the league with three receiving touchdowns and running back Dan Amato finished with six rushing touchdowns, which was second best in the league.

These are just a few of the many standout players that the RedHawks' team is comprised of. The team's individual accomplishments speak to the depth of talent that they have on the squad this year.

"It's incredible to me the amount of talent that this team has," Eric Kenter, president of the club football team, said. "A lot of these players used to be Division One recruits coming out of high school or were originally on Miami's Varsity Team, but they wanted to play something with fewer requirements."

Attendance and support for the club football team has been up this season according to Kenter.

"The turnout has been great throughout the season and I'm excited about the support that this team continues to receive," Kenter said. "A lot of the guys that are in other things on campus such as fraternities have done a great job spreading the word through these organizations about our success. I think support is starting to increase all around the school."

Overall, the team is very excited with their season so far and the only thing that seems to be left for this team to accomplish is to win a championship. 

"This season has meant a lot to the guys," Kenter said. "I know a lot of them are really excited about the opportunity to play for a championship this year."

The NCFA National Championship will be held Saturday in Nin Salem, Virginia.