RedHawks prepare for opener with Intrasquad

By Sarah Ross
On October 8, 2012

The Miami University men's and women's swimming and diving teams competed in the Red & White Intrasquad Oct. 6, as new 'Hawks had their first experience in a collegiate-style meet. The teams were divided into red and white teams before the meet.

Women's Head Coach Dave Jennings looks forward to seeing the season unfold and said the team has a stronger team compared to previous years.

"I like to look at where we were a year ago," Jennings said. "We seem to be ahead of where we were last year, so that was very encouraging."

Seniors Stacie Clagg and Bekka Westrick swam exceptional races and finished with strong times. Clagg won the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 4:29:84 and out touched her teammates in the 400-yard IM. Westrick placed first in the 50-yard freestyle.

Freshmen Sara Krueger and Emma Szczupakiewicz swam the 200-yard fly, both finishing with strong performances.

Seniors Alex Reinhardt, Ian Joyce and Anderson Whipp led the men with strong races. Whipp swam an outstanding race in the 100-yard breaststroke, while Reinhardt placed in the 500-yard and 1000-yard freestyle. Joyce earned points for the white team after placing second in the 200-yard backstroke.

Junior Micheal Cavanaugh put up solid times in his respective events, placing first in the 200-yard butterfly at 1:56:94.

The strong backstroke fleet also swam strong races. Junior Mike Kline finished first in the 200-yard backstroke followed by Joyce and freshman Tyler Simonton in third place. Simonton also competed in the 100-yard backstroke along with freshman Davis Staley.

After the meet, Westrick said the women's team is prepared for the season.

"I think that our team as a whole looked really good," Westrick said. "I think that a lot of us raced really well and it showed that we were fighting."

Westrick said the team is ready to compete after the Intrasquad.

"I think the main goal is just getting that first race out of the way to see how [racing] is again," Westrick said. "Just to get back into racing against someone; that's the importance of the meet."

Jennings said the Intrasquad meet allowed the team to ease its way back into collegiate racing.

"It's a really good opportunity to get the women into their races," Jennings said. "It's a good opportunity for us coaches to see where we are at and things that we need to work on from a technical point of view and a training point of view."

The women open their season Oct. 19 against Purdue University. Both teams host Xavier University Oct. 20 at the Corwin M. Nixon Aquatics Center.