Payroll services delivers the dough 3 days earlier
Due to a team within the human resources department, students employed by Miami University will now be paid three days earlier than they were previously.
According to Anne Wheeler, manager of payroll services, the initiative began last March with the goal of reducing the time it took to process student payroll.
The result was that students now get paid on alternating Tuesdays instead of Fridays, a 21 percent reduction in processing time. The team examined the payroll process from beginning to end then implemented the improvements they were able to identify.
With over 4,000 students employed by the university, many of whom hold multiple jobs, processing student payroll was especially time-consuming. The payday change applies only to student employees, rather than all faculty and staff, in an effort improve this situation. Wheeler said the change was also a matter of convenience.
"Now when students are graduating or relocating at the end of the semester they can be sure to get their paycheck before they leave," Wheeler said. "This should be especially helpful for international students."
Student employees received an email alerting them about the new Tuesday payday and continue to receive email reminders the day before each payday to help them adjust to the change.
Wheeler said student feedback has been positive.
"Only one student expressed concern that their money would be gone by the weekend," she said.
Juniors John Frahm, a student employee in the print center, and Anna Wilson, who works at Dividends, said they are pleased with the change in payday.
"Getting paid on Fridays can be a hassle if you have any problems with your paycheck or with setting up direct deposit," Wilson said. "By getting paid on Tuesdays we can resolve those kinds of problems before the weekend."
"Personally, I think getting paid on Tuesday is more convenient," Frahm said. "I'm less likely to spend my paycheck during the week compared to over the weekend."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest