Tri Delta chapter returns to Miami after suspension

By Ali Preissing and Victoria Slater
On September 20, 2013

After a four-year hiatus, the Miami University Delta Delta Delta (Tri Delta) chapter has returned to campus. The sorority was removed from campus in 2009 for a two-year suspension, and has been reinstated this semester.

According to senior vice president of Panhellenic Public Relations Katharine Davies, Tri Delta was part of Miami University since 1911. The sorority is one of the largest National Panhellenic Conference chapters, with around 140 chapters existing across the country.

As reported in the Miami Student on Feb. 20, 2009, national president of the Tri Delta fraternity Jackye Clark said Miami's chapter was suspended due to a hazing incident.

According to Davies, the sorority served a two-year suspension, and waited an additional two years to return to campus.

"The suspension time was shorter, around two years," Davies said. "Nationals decided to wait four years for the Tri Delta chapter to return to Miami, so that all previous members had graduated. One of the main objectives was starting with a clean, fresh slate."

According to Davies, the current pledge class is already large, with 108 new members after the first round of informal recruitment, which began Sept. 2.

During the recruitment process, prospective members had 30-minute interviews with women from the Tri Delta executive office. These interviews lasted until the Sept. 6 when bids were then offered on the following day. Tri Delta gave bids to 118 women and inducted 108 into the sorority. Tri Delta will also be participating with all the other sororities and fraternities in the spring, which begins Jan. 2 for formal recruitment during the spring, Davies said.

Senior president of the Panhellenic Conference Dana Shanley explained that because Tri Delta was new to campus, they had to advertise their recruitment to potentially interested members.

"The recruiters sent out emails to all sophomore, junior and senior women on campus not already affiliated with a Greek organization," Shanley said. "Many of the girls emailed were interested, and recruitment started after that."

According to Tri Delta field consultant Rachel Wilhem, as new members fill the Miami chapter, Tri Delta encourages them to discover their values, purposes and talents. Founded on tradition, Tri Delta works on creating women of strong character with a desire to unselfishly lead and serve others.

"Through our tradition and initiatives, we as Tri Delta are working to empower our women to become the best versions of themselves," she said. "Our members are all uniquely talented, and have so much to give to our chapter, Greek Life and the campus community. They should be proud of that."

With a completely new set of faces in the Tri Delta community the chapter has already received a large amount of support from the Miami community, according to Wilhem.

"Our executive office worked closely with Miami University over the past few years to find a great time to return to campus," she said. "The university has been very supportive of our return, and the Greek community has welcomed us with excitement and open arms. I am excited and honored to help establish the Tri Delta chapter at Miami, and cannot wait to see our women create a chapter identity on campus."