Track and field wraps up weekend

By Tyler Youg

The Miami University track and field teams wrapped up a multi-event weekend Saturday in two different locations. The women's team competed in the Mt. SAC relays in California, while the men's team competed in the Kentucky Relays for the first time.

The men's team had a strong performance at the Kentucky Relays where it registered five top-five finishes. Junior Skyler Coburn finished fourth in the 400-meter hurdles, senior Jahquil Hargrove took second in the 400-meter dash, sophomore Peter Stefanski placed third in the high jump, redshirt senior Sam Spallinger finished fifth in the long jump and and the 4x400-meter relay team finished second.

The Kentucky Relays consisted of 22 teams, and the RedHawks were up against some strong competition.

"Some pretty big teams like Michigan, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois and Louisville were all there and we competed with them," men's head coach Warren Mandrell said.

With the end of the season approaching fast, many of the RedHawks are looking to make the NCAA championships with good qualifying marks. No one has a better chance than sophomore Peter Stefanski whose current best high jump stands at 6-11 ½. Mandrell says that should be enough to qualify.

The RedHawks also had top ten finishes from junior Sam Chester, who finished ninth in the 110-meter hurdles and senior Daniel Garleb who finished 10th in the 5000-meter run. Senior Wade Coffin placed 10th in the 800-meter days followed by teammates, freshman Andrew Dusing in 11th and senior Kevin Brown in 12th.

The women's track team sent seven athletes to compete in the Mt. SAC relays in Walnut, California.

Three RedHawk juniors, Charlotte Myers, Melissa Girgis and Jess Hoover, posted personal bests at the Mt. SAC relays. Myers ran a 2:08.91 time in the 800-meter dash, which placed her 21st out of 103, and raised her to fourth on Miami's all-time top-ten list. Girgis ran a 36:23.06 in the 10,000-meter run placing her 15th out of 30 in the event and eighth all time in school history. Hoover broke her personal record in the 5000-meter run by ten seconds running a 17:08.21, which placed her 12th in the event.

The other four athletes who traveled to Mt. SAC also had strong performances. Junior Anna Lamb finished 20th in the 10,000-meter with a time of 34:50.02. Sophomore Laura Bess placed 41st out of 143 with a time of 4:28.97. Two more RedHawks Elisa Frazier and Erica Howes competed in the 3000-meter steeplechase, with Frazier finishing 21st (11:02.90) and Howes 22nd (11:03.76).

With only seven athletes making the trip to Mt. SAC, a lot of the team did not compete.

"For probably half our team it's an off weekend in order to get ready for the home meet," Phillips said.

As the remaining RedHawks rest, they will gear up for the RedHawk Invitational, which held at Miami University Saturday, April 26.