African children inspire through performances

By Lauren Kiggins

The African Children's Choir will share passion and hope for Africa in its performance Thursday at Hall Auditorium as part of the Miami University Performing Arts Series.

The choir is comprised of children from ages 7 to 12 from several African nations, many having lost one or both parents to AIDS and poverty-related diseases.

"We try to pull kids out of the most poverty-stricken areas and give them a chance," Amanda Healy, the African Children's Choir publicity coordinator, said. "In turn, the children are given a solid education and are put through university to set them up for success. They are the future of Africa."

Founded in 1984, the choir sets out to raise funds for its organization, the Music For Life Institute, which supports education and relief efforts for African children affected by poverty and disease.

"The African Children's Choir concert is a unique opportunity for cultural exploration," junior Lisa Chiu, said. "It provides Miami students with an enlightening experience while raising awareness for issues that surround Africa today."

The choir tours yearly and has performed for such distinguished audiences as President George W. Bush and Queen Elizabeth II, on a soundtrack with Annie Lennox, and at the finale of American Idol Season 6, among other prestigious venues.

Thursday's program will be comprised of traditional African dancing, songs and drums paired with a few old time American songs.

"After touring with the children for four years, I realize that there is so much potential for Africa," Healy said. "You get to watch that potential live."

The African Children's Choir will perform 7:30 p.m. Thursday in Hall Auditorium. Tickets are $9 for students and $18 for adults and are available through the Shriver Box Office.