Red and White fall against ranked Kentucky Wildcats

By Kennan Belau

The Miami University women's basketball team fell to 3-3 on the season after a 92-53 loss to the No. 9 University of Kentucky Wildcats on Wednesday.

Senior guard Courtney Osborn led the RedHawks with 25 points and also added three steals and three rebounds. Senior forward Kirsten Olowinski was second on the team with eight points, and added nine rebounds.

"Courtney played exceptional, it was one of her best games," Head Coach Maria Fantanarosa said. "She really did a great job of scoring and directing, she worked very hard."

Miami took a 13-12 lead early, but the Wildcats responded with a 24-7 run over the next ten-plus minutes to take a 36-20 lead at the 1:41 mark. The RedHawks answered with a quick 8-0 run of their own to cut the deficit to 37-28. Kentucky hit a three pointer of its own to close the half with a 40-28 lead.

"The first twenty minutes we played really well," Osborn said. "We played like we should have the entire season."

Osborn hit a couple of baskets early in the second half to help cut the Kentucky lead to 11, but that was as close as the RedHawks would get. The Wildcats quickly hit three three-pointers as part of a 12-2 run to push their lead to 55-32 just under four minutes into the second half. Kentucky then put the game out of reach with a 25-12 run over the next ten minutes.

"The box score doesn't really reflect the effort that we gave," Osborn said. "We competed the entire game. They are just a really good team."

The Wildcats had five players score in double figures, led by junior guard Bernisha Pinkett's 21 points. Kentucky shot 50 percent (33 for 66) from the field, including hitting 11 three-pointers.

Sophomore guard Courtney Larson made her season debut for the RedHawks, after missing the first five games due to injury.

"It was good to have Courtney back," Fantanarosa said. "She gave us some quality minutes in a tough environment."

Miami returns to the court at 2 p.m. Saturday as it hosts the University of Massachusetts (UMass). UMass enters the game with a 2-5record.

"UMass is a balanced scoring team," Fantanarosa said. "We're going to have to make sure that we're firing on all cylinders."

That balance comes from senior center Jasmine Watson and sophomore guard Emily Mital. Watson leads UMass in scoring and rebounding, averaging 15.8 points and 8.2 rebounds per game. Mital is second on the team averaging 14.6 points per game and is making 3.6 three-pointers per game.

"We're starting to play with more of a sense of urgency," Fantanarosa said. "You're going to see a team that is more competitive and scrappier."