Counties offer college experience

By AbRuss

High school students will have the opportunity to experience college life this summer through a new program offered by Wilmington College, a private university about an hour from the Hamilton and Middletown area.

Both the Warren County Educational Service Center and the Butler County Educational Service Center are working with Wilmington College to create a program called the Academic College Campus Experience for Student Success (ACCESS).

The program will be offered to 40 sophomores and juniors in both Warren and Butler counties and is intended to give students the full college experience, according to Ken Lydy, associate vice president for student affairs at Wilmington College.

"This will be an opportunity for rising juniors and seniors to experience college first hand before they send in their applications," Lydy said.

The one-week college "crash course" will offer high school students an inside peek at dormitory life, an ACT prep course and other leadership and college success strategies.

Aside from living in the dorms and eating in the dining halls, students will attend lectures to prepare for the difference between high school and collegiate classes.

It will teach college success strategies to inform students about time management and study skills, according to George Sehi, Executive Director of University Relations for the Warren County Educational Center.

"This program is for students who are serious about going to college," Sehi said.

High school students preparing for the ACT will be able to attend a preparation course guided by Wilmington faculty to learn test taking tips and what to expect on the standardized test.

Miami University junior Erin O'Malley said she thought the program was a good idea for both counties.

"I wish I had a similar opportunity, it seems really beneficial for high school students to see college first hand," O'Malley said.

According to Lydy, the weeklong program will also provide the chance for parents to get involved. Both students and parents will be able to attend a lecture on the college admission process including financial aid.

A graduation-type ceremony will also be held on the last day of the program, which families may attend.

Lydy went on to say that he recognizes that many Butler and Warren County students are first-generation college students, which may be overwhelming them as well as their parents.

"We want to provide parents the opportunity to attend lectures where they can ask questions about the application process," Lydy said.

Educators at Wilmington College are hoping this new program will strengthen the relationship they have with Butler and Warren County students.

"This is a pilot program for us but we hope that after the success of this summer we can open up similar programs to offer to more students who may be interested," Lydy said.