Police Beat (04/11/14)
No snooze button on the law: Man hospitalized
At 3:30 a.m. Thursday, a passerby called OPD to report an unconscious male sprawled on the lawn of the Beta Theta Pi fraternity house.
Upon arrival, officers found the man in a bush, curled into the fetal position. After repeated, unsuccessful attempts to rouse the male, officers called the life squad.
The sirens of the approaching ambulance woke the male and he struggled to his unsteady feet. According to OPD, extreme mumbling and a thick slur made the suspect's speech unintelligible.
An officer arrested the male, and found a wallet on his person. The wallet contained the male's valid Ohio driver's license, which confirmed his age of 19. It also contained a fictitious, over-21 New York license.
The first-year male was cited at the hospital for offenses involving underage persons, disorderly conduct and certain acts prohibited.
Six or eight beers are "possibly" too many
At 10:06 p.m. Tuesday, an Oxford resident called OPD to report a southbound vehicle driving suspiciously on US Route 27.
Officers found the car in a parking off Southpointe Parkway. Upon arrival, they surmised the car had been driving for some time, and had struck several dumpsters.
After stopping the car, officers noticed an empty 12-pack of empty beer bottles on the passenger-side floor. When asked, the driver said he was going to the Butler Inn, where he lived.
The officer asked the suspect if he had been drinking, and he said he had consumed six or eight beers at home, and that he possibly had too much to drive.
When asked to take field sobriety tests, the driver said yes, but that he would most likely fail.
He was correct, and quickly failed all tests. He was taken to OPD where he was charged with OVI and an open container violation.
His car was impounded and he was dumped off at the Butler Inn.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest