Bellhops business moves in to MU, moves students out

By Kelly Higginson

They do not wear bell-boy hats or uniforms adorned in golden buttons, but the students from Miami Bellhops will show up at apartments, residence halls and houses across Oxford this spring prepared to move student belongings and furniture.

Bellhops Campus Director Travis Peraza, a junior, is going around residence halls, fraternity houses and classes in hopes of recruiting roughly 100 workers for the busy spring moving season. It is an opportunity, Peraza said, to not only provide moving assistance but to also provide students with a well-paying job.

"This is the second year Bellhops has been at Miami, and we are looking for hard working, strong, motivated students that know what commitment is," Peraza said. "It's a very easy and fun way to make money."

The company started three years ago at Auburn University and now employs college students in more than 121 cities across the country.

Cofounder of Bellhops Cameron Doody said he believes their company is so successful based on the college students that work for them.

"We employ college students because we believe they are built for the industry," Doody said. "Moving is usually dominated by the blue collared man, but it's all about customer service and providing these students with some good money."

When working for Bellhops, students have the ability to do everything via smartphone, including seeing what jobs are available in the area, taking the job, communicating with the customer and getting paid.

"It's really cool how it works because you can see what jobs are available in your area, and press whether you want to take the job or not,' Peraza said. "You decide what hours you want to work, which is convenient."

According to Doody, allowing students to do part of their job through their smartphone has made their company stronger.

"We record all of it- the bellhop reaching out to the customer, the time they show up to the job, and when the job is complete," Doody said.

The customer also receives a profile of the bellhop before hand with their picture, year, and what they are studying in school. a

"It's the perfect way to connect the college students with the people who need local small moving help and it makes it a little more personal," Doody said.

Each move costs around $80 an hour depending on whether customers ask for their things relocated to a different house or just to a car. As for the bellhop, they get paid $13-15 an hour, plus tips.

"I think once we get the word out about the Miami Bellhops and how great the job is, many students will want to join," Peraza said.

According to Peraza, they are hoping to expand it more and more every year by making it more well-known to students. "The more Bellhops, the merrier," Peraza said.