Doubles teams shine in win over MTSU

By Jordan Rinard

After dropping consecutive games for the second time this season, the Miami University women's tennis team stopped the bleeding with a hard-fought 5-2 decision against Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) Sunday at the Riverside Athletic Club in Hamilton. With seven matches to go until the start of Mid-American Conference play, the RedHawks are continuing to make strides in their game.

The 'Hawks (3-5) got their first doubles sweep of the season to start off the match against the Blue Raiders. The team of junior Christiana Raymond and freshman Chloe Heerden earned an 8-1 decision over junior Flavia Nagayama and freshman Alexandra Torres of Middle Tennessee State (3-5) to start things off for the 'Hawks. This was followed up by the duo of junior Nimisha Mohan and freshman Ana Rajkovic getting an 8-2 victory over freshman Irina Constantinide and sophomore Nayara Moraes to earn the doubles point for Miami. To complete the sweep, the tandem of sophomores Christine Guerrazzi and Alix Thurman triumphed over redshirt senior Carla Nava and senior Yuiri Nomoto 8-7.

"I think we did a great job coming out to a good start in doubles and sticking with the game plan," Head Coach Anca Dumitrescu said. "I was also happy to see that we improve the way we competed in singles."

The RedHawks would go on to extend their lead to 3-0 in the match with Thurman and Heerden winning their respective matches against Constantinide and Torres each with a score of 6-1, 6-1. Thurman's victory extends her current winning streak to four matches in singles.

MTSU would not relent, however, as it reeled off consecutive wins to put the score at 3-2, with Nava earning a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Rajkovic and Nagayama getting the edge over Mohan with a 6-4, 6-4 decision. The match-clinching point went to Miami as Guerrazzi defeated Moraes at No. 4 7-5, 7-5.

"Christine did a great job coming back in her match and clinching the overall victory for us," Dumitrescu said. "We made a step forward today as a team towards reaching our potential and we have to continue to move in that direction."

To close out the match, Raymond snapped a two-match losing streak by getting a 6-4, 3-6, 6-2 win over Nomoto.

"We all came together well today and worked hard for every point," Guerrazzi said. "Doubles was a great way to gain the momentum and we carried it through until the end. We would like to continue our fighting attitude and desire to our match against UK."

The RedHawks will now face the University of Kentucky 4 p.m. Tuesday.

Kentucky (4-2) recently snapped a two-match losing streak as it defeated No. 55 Ohio State University in Columbus 4-3. In that match, the Wildcats got four straight singles wins from the 67th ranked singles player in the country freshman Nadia Ravita, senior Jessica Stiles, sophomore Edmee Morin-Kougoucheff, and junior Caitlyn McGraw. Ravita and McGraw combined to earn the lone doubles win on the day. The tandem has a record of 4-1 so far this season. The 'Cats also defeated 54th ranked Indiana University 4-3 Sunday.