Sophomore falls from third-story window, remains in serious condition
Alex Proctor points to the spot he found sophomore Caroline O’Donnell after she fell out of the third-story window above. Photo by Katie Taylor
Today at 4:39 a.m., the Oxford Police Department (OPD) received word that 20-year-old Miami University sophomore Caroline O'Donnell fell from a third-story window at 22 East Walnut St.
Neighbor senior Alex Proctor said he observed O'Donnell sitting in the third-story window on his way up to his own apartment. He then witnessed her fall onto the concrete driveway below where the first officer on the scene found her lying conscious and breathing.
"She had a bump on her head, some swelling and an abrasion on her elbow," OPD Sgt. Jon Varley said.
Proctor said he did not hear loud music or see anything suggesting a party was taking place, but Varley confirmed O'Donnell had been drinking.
"It appears that alcohol was involved," Varley said. "But the actual fall was an accident."
After being taken to McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital, O'Donnell was airlifted to Miami Valley Hospital in Dayton.
Manager of Media Relations for Miami Valley Hospital Nancy Thickel said O'Donnell is currently in serious condition.
Additional reporting by Community Editor Chris Curme.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?