Kroger unveils lower prices and organic food products

By Lauren Evans

Lower prices, new organic products, quicker checkout times and the elimination of double coupons are three main components of Kroger's new plan that was initiated in all stores Feb. 4.

"I'm enjoying the lower prices," first-year student Erin Davis said. "As a college student I'm always looking for ways to cut costs, especially when it comes to buying food."

With the reduction in cost also came the elimination of the double coupon policy.

"Customers who double coupons is a small percentage," Rachael Betzler, media contact for the Kroger brand, said. "A lot of the paper coupons are $1 or higher value, which we will still be accepting."

Customers no longer have the opportunity to take advantage of a coupon being used twice in one transaction.

As an alternative, customers may visit the Kroger web site and download coupons to their Kroger card, according to Alex Smith, manger at Kroger in Oxford.

"With the new wave in technology, customers have access to internet coupons," Smith said. "Everyone is looking for ways to save money."

Customers can also look for weekly ads featuring sale items. These products are labeled with red tags on the shelf. Blue shelf tags indicate the new lower prices offered all the time.

"We are committed to our low price strategy and also continuing with weekly promotions such as our 50 percent off sale this week, and other sales such as Mega Events, Cart Busters and 10 for $10 sales," Betzler said.

Since the implementation of the new program, Oxford's Kroger has seen a major influx of new customers according to Smith.

"We have seen a variety of new faces," Smith said. "We typically know our usual customer base but new people are coming in the store due to the new lower prices."

Kroger is now also featuring new organic products, called Simple Truth Organic, available on shelves throughout the store. These products are free of artificial ingredients and preservatives.

"Customers are concerned about their health and constantly looking for healthy alternatives," Betzler said. "Packaging has also been made simple so customers can easily understand ingredient statements."

Davis said she likes Kroger's new initiative.

"I'm happy there are new organic products being offered," Davis said. "It's nice to have options."