ASC site ready for winter

By Jenn Smola

As temperatures begin to drop and winter sets in, the construction of the Armstrong Student Center (ASC) is on schedule and ready for the colder weather.

The construction is running smoothly, University Architect John Seibert said.

"We are absolutely on schedule," he said.

As the ASC begins to look like the plans and blueprints the Miami community has come to recognize, Rick Russell, project manager for the ASC construction, said the structure will be completely closed in by mid-January.

"The roofers are working right now along with the contractor who's putting the exterior sheeting and siding on the building," Russell said.

While Miami students will be relaxing at home after finals, work on the ASC will continue over the academic break, Russell said.

"You'll see when the weather turns really bad the outdoor work will be curtailed," Russell said. "While we still have got good weather they'll still be working on the outside stuff."

The same weather-proofing process is taking place down the road on Miami's other major construction projects as well, according to Seibert.

"The same dance and chase is happening over at Maplestreet [Station] and Etheridge Hall right now too, so we're trying to get our three major projects that are under construction winter-proof and weatherized," Seibert said.

Associated Student Government's executive cabin et had the opportunity to go on a hard hat tour of the ASC in October. President of Senate Peter Dougherty said he was excited by the construction's progress.

"It was fantastic," Dougherty said. "You can see it all coming together."

Dougherty said while it's bittersweet for him to be graduating this year before the ASC is completed, it's still exciting to see the building really begin to take shape.

"I think it's really starting to come together a lot more nowadays," Dougherty said. "Especially compared to when they first started construction...you could see gigantic high walls and dirt. Looking at the drawings and looking at the building you see now, you can definitely see the correlation."

Russell shared Dougherty's excitement regarding the project.

"It's an exciting project to be a part of," Russell said. "I'm glad to see it going on a campus like Miami and I think the students will find the spaces really exciting."