Opinion | Romney, Ryan provide better record of leadership that America needs now

By Olivia Brough

Governor Mitt Romney has had real-life executive experience in the private sector and the public sector. He was a founding partner of the investment firm, Bain Capital, which helped turn around mismanaged companies, and when he stepped in to lead the troubled 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics, he made it into a success. From his experience in both sectors, he has an understanding of how the government can either aid or impede prosperity.

President Barack Obama's prior executive experience was non-existent. He first served in the Illinois State Senate and then less than one term as a United States Senator. Today, his inexperience is evident. The promises he made at the beginning of his presidency are unfulfilled.

In 2009, he said, "Today I am pledging to cut the deficit we inherited in half by the end of my first term in office." It is nearing the end of his first term, and not only is this pledge unmet, the deficit has increased. An increased deficit and debt means higher living costs and lower incomes for our generation. Public officials are 'hired' by us, the people of the United States. President Obama hasn't done what we 'hired' him to do, so it's time for a new president.

President Obama has no record to run on. He knows that voters will usually stick with the incumbent when there is no viable alternative, so he has been demonizing Governor Romney as an out-of-touch, uncaring capitalist. But he could not avoid the presidential debates.

The presidential debates revealed and confirmed to the voters that Governor Romney is personable, competent, composed and presidential-not the villain painted by the Obama campaign. Furthermore, President Obama seems to have lost his nice-guy image during the debates. After his lack-luster first debate performance, he stepped up his aggression and became combative and even smarmy during the third debate.

For instance, President Obama appeared less presidential and more like a challenger than an incumbent when he ridiculed Romney and said, "We have these things called aircraft carriers where planes land on them. We have these ships that go under water called nuclear submarines."

While it is arguable if the debates served their ideal purpose of issue-discussion, the debates were still useful in analyzing the leadership abilities of the candidates. For example, Vice President Biden interrupted Congressman Paul Ryan's explanation of how lower tax rates actually increase revenue to the government without cutting tax deductions for the middle class by stating that it was impossible and had never been done before.

When Congressman Ryan mentioned that President Kennedy lowered tax rates and increased revenue, Biden interrupted with a laugh and said, "Oh, now you're Jack Kennedy!" Not only does this reveal Biden's lack of professionalism and leadership, but it also doesn't help the voter who wants to learn about the candidates' stances on issues, and Biden is factually wrong as John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan cut tax rates, and by doing so increased gross domestic product, which raised revenue to the government.

The behavior of the President and Vice President during the debates was not only un-presidential, but also revealed a hint of desperation. The President's desperation became most evident in his recent website ad to try to get the young woman vote. This controversial and belittling ad equates voting for Obama with sex.

The ad says, "Your first time shouldn't be with just anybody. You want to do it with a great guy someone who really cares about and understands women. My first time voting was amazing. It was this line in the sand; before I was a girl, now I was a woman."

This ad belittles women as it reduces us to nothing more than uteruses that will be content as long as there is birth control and that we should not worry our pretty little heads about complex political issues. This ad reduces our generation to creatures who only think in terms of sex. This ad diminishes the office of the presidency.

I am a woman who cares about my generation's prosperity and our nation's success. I have high expectations and standards for our leadership and our future, and we as Americans should not settle for anything less than a competent and experienced leader such as Governor Mitt Romney.