Brick Street keeps the country coming

By Claire Krieger

Miami University students and Oxford community members have the chance to see on-the-rise country singer Thomas Rhett perform at Brick Street Bar & Grill Wednesday, Nov. 14. This will be Rhett's first time performing in Oxford, but singer Clayton Anderson, who will be making his fourth appearance at the bar, will join him.

"I'm absolutely pumped to [come back to Oxford]," Anderson said. "It's feels like its been forever! "I'm telling you there's nothing like Oxford, Ohio. I'm brining my dancing, party shoes."

Along with excitement over his return to Oxford, Anderson is also pleased to announce the release of his new smartphone app. The app can be found by searching "Clayton Anderson" in the app store. Through the app, Anderson will release songs for fans to listen to. They will be responsible for choosing which of those songs will make it on to his upcoming record.

While this is Anderson's first foray into digital engineering, it is not the first time that Anderson will open for Thomas Rhett, and he has been preparing his friend for the Oxford-experience.

"I'm really pumped to play with my buddy Thomas Rhett," Anderson aid. "We've been hanging out in Nashville a lot so it will be a good time. I've been talking it up, telling him he's going to have a blast."

Anderson is not the only one looking forward to the show. Miami University students are already anticipating the concert.

"Thomas Rhett is an up-and-coming country singer," senior Doug Liber said. "I am definitely excited to hear his future albums and to enjoy his show in Oxford."

Although Rhett has never played a show in Oxford before, his previous experience with gigs in college towns, along with Anderson's recommendation of Oxford, has prepared him for a great show.

"I love playing college towns," Rhett said. "It's always fun to just go in there and entertain [the students]. We have just as much fun as they do. It's smaller and the kids are rowdier, so it's always a good time."

Rhett's love for music and performing stems from his musical upbringing, his father being country singer/songwriter Rhett Akins. He also has vivid memories of attending concerts in his youth.

"The first concert I ever went to was a Rolling Stones concert and I used to think how awesome it would be to be a rock star like that," Rhett said. "I used to go to a bunch of concerts with my dad and every time I'd go, I'd just be so amused at the production and lights and just the rocking sounds. It's something that I've always wanted to do."

Although his father played a big role in Rhett's interest in music, Rhett chose to approach his music in a different way than his father had. He explained that his record was different than even he would have imagined.

"My dad had kind of what you hear today, this 'tailgate and tanline,' 'drinking beer' kind of music that's being put out and that's what I've kind of grown up listening to," Rhett said. "When I made my first record I was like, 'This is totally opposite of what I ever imagined my record would sound like.'"

Rhett has been playing shows and making music for the past five years and signed his first record deal in 2010. He toured with Toby Keith last summer and is currently on tour with Chris Young. Rhett also recently got married. He explained that between touring and being a newlywed, he is a very busy man. Despite this busy schedule, he is working on his first full-length record and plans to release it on March 6, 2013. Along with looking forward to the release of his album, Rhett is also excited to begin touring with Jason Aldean and Jake Owen in January of next year.

When asked about his plans for the future, Rhett said that he just tries to take every day as it comes. He loves being able to tour and write songs and says that, while he hopes to be doing the same thing for a very long time, he is currently just trying to enjoy his daily life.

Tickets for Rhett's performance at Brick Street on Nov. 14 can be purchased at the bar or online at www.brickstreetbar.com. More information about Thomas Rhett is available on his website (thomasrhettmusic.com), his Facebook page (search Thomas Rhett Music), and on Twitter @ThomasRhett.