Giving credit where it is due

What's Going Downey

By Tom Downey

With a simple 13-yard pass to wide out Nick Harwell, redshirt senior quarterback Zac Dysert passed Ben Roethlisberger as Miami University's all-time passing leader Saturday. It was a routine pass that Dysert has likely completed thousands of times in practice and in games, yet it etched his name into the record book.

Dysert is just three yards shy of 11,000 career passing yards, an incredible accomplishment.

Dysert is 41st on the NCAA's all-time passing list, ahead of names like Eli Manning, Drew Brees and now Roethlisberger. He is third all-time on the Mid-American Conference list.

Dysert has been through more than most quarterbacks at this point in their careers. He's dealt with multiple coaches and a new offensive coordinator nearly every year. He even suffered a lacerated spleen during his sophomore year. After that injury, he had to win his job back in a battle with redshirt junior quarterback Austin Boucher. Despite all of that, he will still go down as one of Miami's greatest players.

The most admirable part of Dysert is not his physical skill, as talented as he is, but his leadership and his humbleness. Dysert will always give credit to the rest of team first. The number of times he has praised his offensive lineman are too many to count.

He conducts himself the right way and never comes off as arrogant. Dysert is the epitome of a leader.

To be frank, Dysert acts like the record does not mean that much to him, as least not right now.

After the disappointing loss to Buffalo, Dysert was not happy in the press conference. He looked disappointed, even knowing he got the record. As Head Coach Don Treadwell said, Dysert would trade the record for a win any day.

Dysert has said many times the record is something that will probably mean more to him down the road. Right now, he just wants to win. It is great to see that out of a star quarterback, as too often some players get caught up in being the big man on campus. Yet Dysert is just about as down to earth as they come.

Dysert said the week before the Buffalo game that he didn't know how close he was to breaking Roethlisberger's record. He didn't know he needed just 75 yards. He isn't interested in personal records.

He thinks if the team does well, the individual stuff will come, not the other way around. Given the way some athletes act, it is refreshing to see Dysert handle himself the way he does.

Dysert has all the tools to be a very good NFL quarterback. He has prototypical size, solid arm strength and very good accuracy. He also shows an NFL caliber ability to read defenses and make the correct read. His ability to escape the pocket is eerily reminiscent of the player whose record he just broke. Given the way Dysert conducts himself on and off the field, it would be surprising to see him fall any lower than that.

Miami's all-time passing record could not have gone to better player and person.