By Staff
On December 3, 2012

Sophomore male admits to drunken hit and run

Sunday, around 3:02 a.m., an Oxford Police Department officer (OPD) was traveling eastbound when he observed a white Chevy with a flat driver-side tire traveling westbound in the 400 block of East Sycamore. The officer stopped the driver after he pulled into a parking lot. The officer observed substantial damage to the driver side of the vehicle and damage to the tire, according to OPD. The driver, sophomore Michael Bartol, told the officer that he had just dropped some people off at Flower Hall and was going back to his residence, according to OPD. When the officer asked about the condition of his car, Bartol admitted to striking a parked vehicle in the Flower parking lot. According to OPD, Bartol had a strong alcoholic odor on his breath and his eyes were bloodshot. After failing a field sobriety test, Bartol was arrested for leaving the scene of an accident, operating an unsafe motor vehicle and OVI, according to OPD.

Female lies twice to OPD about age, identity

Saturday, around 12:51 a.m., an OPD officer conducting a bar check at Brickstreet Bar observed a female drinking a blue-colored beverage from a clear cup. Sophomore Alexandra Froede appeared nervous and distressed by the officer's presence, according to OPD. The officer asked her to step out onto the sidewalk and requested to see her license. The female stated she did not have her license but she was wearing a purple over 21 wristband, according to OPD. When the officer brought up the wristband she appeared agitated. The female stated her name was Ashley Miller and gave him an incorrect date of birth, according to OPD. The officer told her he would overlook the first lie if she told him the truth. This time she stated her name was Olivia Miller, and again gave a false date of birth, according to OPD. Eventually she admitted her real identity. Froede was arrested for certain acts prohibited, obstructing official business, and sales to and use by underage persons, according to OPD.

Male gives Subway card to OPD as identification

Sunday at 2:28 a.m. OPD was dispatched to 805 S. Campus Ave. in reference to an ongoing fight. An officer met with a male who said he had just been assaulted by another male who had shoved him several times until a group of bystanders separated them. The officer was able to locate the male and stop him for questioning. He appeared unsteady on his feet and had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath. When the officer asked him for identification, the male handed him a Subway card. The officer asked for a real I.D. card, but the male insisted that the Subway card was in fact his license. When the officer spotted what looked like his real license hidden in his wallet, the male tossed the wallet into a bush in an attempt to hide it. The officer was able to recover the wallet and identified the male as first-year Andre Altaly, according to OPD. Altaly was brought back to the victim's location, but the victim decided not to press charges. Altaly was charged with sales to and use by underage persons and obstructing official business, according to OPD.

By Staff