RedHawks take sixth consecutive MAC title
The Miami University women's tennis team clinched the Mid-American Conference regular season championship this weekend with victories over Western Michigan University and Bowling Green State University. This is the sixth straight MAC regular season title for the RedHawks.
"It's pretty cool getting six titles," said senior Christiana Raymond.
Miami (15-6, 7-1 MAC) swept Western Michigan 7-0 Friday and defeated Bowling Green 5-2.
"We played well this weekend," Raymond said. "It's weird to think that was my last home match in regulation. As a senior it was pretty bittersweet."
Senior Nimisha Mohan and freshman Andrea Badileanu crushed their opponents in doubles, 8-4. Juniors Christine Guerrazzi and Alix Thurman defeated their Western Michigan opponents 8-5.
In singles, sophomore Ana Rajkovic beat her opponent 6-3, 6-0 and Guerrazzi beat her opponent 6-3, 6-1. Thurman also won her match 6-2, 6-4, as did Badileanu 6-3, 6-3. Raymond beat her opponent in a three-match effort, 2-6, 6-3, 10-4. Mohan finished the sweep with a 6-4, 7-5 win.
The RedHawks battled Bowling Green Saturday, needing a win to clinch an outright MAC title. The 'Hawks went on to knock off the Falcons 5-2.
Miami experienced trouble in the doubles matches with two losses, giving the point to Bowling Green. The RedHawks were able to recover in the singles matches later in the day, which secured their victory.
Sophomore Ana Rajkovic beat her opponent 6-1, 6-1, while Thurman defeated her opponent 6-0, 6-3. Guerrazzi won 6-0, 6-3 and Badileanu knocked off her opponent 6-3, 6-3. Mohan and Raymond delivered as well, as they both won their final regular season matches in their Miami careers. Mohan finished with a victory of 6-2, 6-3 and Raymond won 6-3, 0-6, 6-1.
Miami will host the MAC Women's tennis tournament.
"It's nice that we'll be at home for the tournament this weekend," Mohan said. "They changed the rules that whoever wins the regular season gets to host. Before they use to alternate, so next year we'll have it at home too."
The tournament begins 10 a.m. Friday, April 24 at Hepburn Varsity Tennis Court and ends Sunday. The winner of the tournament will receive a bid to the NCAA Tournament.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit