Two residents robbed at gunpoint in two days

By Chris Curme

On both Friday and Saturday around 2 a.m., two men robbed an Asian pedestrian at gunpoint near Oxford Commons Apartments. The suspects, wanted for aggravated robbery, are at large.

The first incident occurred at 1:33 a.m. Friday when a female Miami University senior was walking from her vehicle to her apartment at 1804 Oxford Commons Dr. In the 600 block of Erin Drive, two suspects approached brandishing a handgun and demanded her purse, and then her phone, according to police.

The suspects left on foot heading north through the parking lot. At 1:43, the victim called the Oxford Police Department (OPD). The Butler County Sheriff's Office also responded to the scene with a K-9 unit.

The respective campus crime alert described the suspects as two males, one white and wearing a black hat, black clothing and a white rag over his face, the other wearing a black coat and hat.

Twenty-four hours later, at 1:55 a.m., two suspects approached a male near McGuffey Avenue and Oxford Commons Drive. The victim reported one of the suspects carried a gun.

"I just thought someone was joking," the male said. "After the second [man appeared], I knew I was going to be robbed."

He said he had just returned from a trip home, and came to Oxford carrying a "large amount" of cash his father had given him.

"I saw someone holding a gun and wearing a mask," he said, adding the suspects looked young and scared, though not as scared as he, with a gun pointed at him.

When approached by the gun-toting man, he dropped his luggage and recently-bought food.

"I said, 'Please don't talk to me.' ...'What do you want? Money?' [I asked.]"

According to the victim, when he saw the gun, he knew he had to give up his cash. He first handed a little, then they asked for all.

The suspects fled northwest from the area on foot toward the intersection of Erin and Tollgate Drives, a campus crime alert read.

Though both victims were Asian, neither police report indicated hate bias. In addition, neither report mentioned assault. The campus crime alert said the female was unharmed, and the male said he was also uninjured.

OPD's public information officer Jon Varley said he believes the status of the investigation will change by Tuesday afternoon.

The male victim, who said he always gets food and is out at night gave a warning.

"It's not safe here," he said.