Boston College hires former Miami Athletic Director Brad Bates

By JM Rieger, Tom Downey, Sarah Sidlow
On October 9, 2012

Boston College (BC) has named former Miami University Athletic Director Brad Bates as its next athletic director. Bates replaces former BC Athletic Director Gene DeFilippo who retired Sept. 30 after serving as the school's athletic director for 15 years.

Bates served as Miami's athletic director for 10 years. During that time, Bates presided over a 7 percent increase in student-athlete Graduation Success Rate while overseeing 14 team conference championships and 46 total conference championships.

"I'd be remiss if I did not thank [Miami] President David Hodge and the wonderful family of RedHawks back in Ohio," Bates said during a 1:30 p.m. press conference today. "I want to thank [Boston College President Fr. William P.] Leahy for this exceptional opportunity and to publicly acknowledge how privileged I feel with your trust."

Members of BC's Twitter community welcomed Bates, who has begun using a new Twitter handle, @BCBradBates.

"Thank you to the BC community for the kind welcome. I'm excited to be part of this outstanding group of people, student-athletes & coaches," Bates tweeted.

Bates also talked about DeFilippo's time with Boston College.

"I also want to thank Gene DeFilippo for the foundation he has established," Bates said. "In an age where we look students in the eye, and we talk about commitment and dedication, yet watch coaches and athletic directors hypocritically jump from one school to another after only a year or two, Gene has exemplified loyalty."

Miami University President David Hodge said Bates is respected in the college athletics sphere.

"Brad Bates above all else is known for his incredible integrity," Hodge said. "He is hugely respected by his colleagues throughout the country. He has been a great colleague to work with."

Bates' move to BC did not come as a surprise, Hodge said.

"Brad has kept me informed through this," Hodge said. "Like I said, he's Mr. Integrity."

Miami Senior Associate Athletic Director Steve Cady said he had mixed emotions.

"[It's] disappointing from the standpoint of the Miami perspective," Cady said. "He's been here 10 years and done an awesome job. You won't find a better person with a better work ethic or more integrity or who cares more for the students."

Miami Head Football Coach Don Treadwell had similar thoughts.

"My time with him has been tremendous," Treadwell said. "[He] will be successful, in my opinion, wherever he goes. I do appreciate what he has done for Miami number one, and certainly the opportunity he has given me and the staff here."

Redshirt senior quarterback Zac Dysert reflected on Bates role in the football program.

"Brad's been awesome; Dr. Bates has been a very integral part of our program," Dysert said. "I have nothing but good things to say about him and I wish him the best of luck. I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him."

The details of Bates' contract have not yet been released.

Although no replacement for Bates has been named, Hodge said the process for choosing a new athletic director has begun.

"We have a bunch of details to figure out but we need to find the right person to take us to the higher level," Hodge said.