Firemen rescue damsel in distress
The Princess Theater has yet again fallen into dormancy after a fire just before noon on Thursday, March 20.
According to Oxford Police Department Sergeant Jon Varley, a lobby ice machine overheated and produced much smoke.
Some individuals inside Krispy Kutz, the Princess' neighbor, saw and smelled the smoke and called the fire department.
The Princess was closed at the time, and firefighters had to break through the glass front doors.
"It worked out kind of well for us," Princess co-owner Lindsey Myers said. "We were going to remodel anyway after our first year."
According to Myers, architects and engineers have been on the property since the first of the year planning renovations.
Varley said the building's structure is not damaged.
Myers said damage estimates and timetables are currently up in the air.
"We have insurance adjustors coming in and deciding what's damaged, what needs to be replaced," Myers said.
Myers said he was unsure when the theater might again open its doors.
"[The fire] pushed our renovation timetable up a little," Myers said, indicating they may proceed with planned renovations before reopening.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit