MU places fifth in tourney

By Justin Maskulinski

The Miami University golf team was able to improve its play in Williamsburg, Va., as it finished fifth out of 27 teams in the Middleburg Bank Intercollegiate.

"I think the guys are continuing to get better and get more comfortable," Miami head coach Zac Zedrick said. "The conditions were pretty tough this week and I think mentally we're a pretty resilient, tough team and it showed."

The 'Hawks had finished in the bottom half of their first two tournaments this spring.

Junior Scott Cahill led the way for the RedHawks, shooting 3-over-par for the tournament. Cahill finished tied for sixth in the 139-man field.

"The preparation was good leading into the tournament," Cahill said. "I was really feeling good and confident. I just kept the ball in front of me, and I converted on a few of my opportunities."

Cahill shot a 73 in the first round, a 69 in the second round and a 71 in the third round.

"[Cahill] has had some good moments throughout the spring," Zedrick said. "It's just the first tournament where he has had a really strong three solid rounds of golf together."

The 'Hawks finished the tournament 35-over-par, shooting 291 as a team in the final round. Texas A&M University, a team that is ranked 50th in the nation, won the tournament. The Aggies shot 11-over-par as a team to take tournament.

Miami was also led by senior Mark MacDonald, who improved in the second and third rounds to finish tied for 13th overall. MacDonald shot three over par in the first round, before shooting two over par in both the second and third rounds.

Sophomore Jack Sparling finished tied for 37th, while classmate Bud Radis and junior Brantley Kushner finished tied for 54th.

The 'Hawks finished four strokes ahead of Mid-American Conference opponent Eastern Michigan University.

"We have a pretty good idea of how well we can perform," Zedrick said. "That's kind of what we're measuring ourselves against, not necessarily what the other teams are doing. If we take care of our business, I don't know if we necessarily need to worry about the other teams in the field."

Miami also finished in front of schools from the Big Ten (Penn State University) and ACC (Boston College University).

"The ties to your conference aren't quite as strong," Zedrick said. "That being said, those are good programs and it's always good when you're finishing above good programs in the tournament."

Zedrick said the team being on spring break may have helped its focus.

"When you've got all of the schoolwork taken care of you can just go play golf," Zedrick said. "Our guys do a really good job of trying to take care of things as soon as possible ahead of time, but [spring break] certainly helps a little bit."

Cahill said this tournament will fuel the 'Hawks as they inch closer to the MAC Championship.

"We've only got a couple tournaments left before we head to the MAC Championships," Cahill said. "We're playing with confidence and we have five guys each week that are turning in good scores. We'll be just fine."