'Hawks sweep Kent to open MAC play

By Jordan Rinard

After falling 10-2 against Marshall University Wednesday, the Miami University softball team started Mid-American Conference play with a bang as it defeated Kent State University 9-2 in the first game Friday and 4-3 in 10 innings in the second game. The RedHawks (13-15, 2-0 MAC) are winners of three of their last four games and the Golden Flashes were picked to win the MAC East in the preseason.

"They were great team wins," junior outfielder Tiyona Marshall said. "We played together and picked each other up. Defensively, we need to get back into the swing of things, but overall we need to get better all around and move forward."

Miami struck first against Marshall (10-20) as junior shortstop Kylie McChesney knocked a solo shot in the top of the third inning. The Thundering Herd went off in the fourth, scoring seven runs in the inning. McChesney rounded out the scoring for the 'Hawks in the fifth with an RBI double prior to the game being called in six innings after Marshall tacked on three more runs. Despite the result, sophomore pitcher Amber Logemann put in solid work as she went 3 2-3 innings and gave up four earned runs on six hits and recorded five strikeouts.

The RedHawks started off fast in their first game against Kent State (14-14, 0-2 MAC) with two runs in each of the first two innings. Senior first baseman Allie Larrabee had a two-RBI double in the first and senior second baseman Kristy Arbour hit drove in a runner with a single and junior outfielder Taylor Shuey found her way home on a throwing error by the Golden Flashes in the second. The Flashes only mustered two runs on the day as the RedHawks tallied nine runs on 13 hits in its MAC opener.

Larrabee went 2 for 4 with her two RBIs, Arbour had three hits in her three at-bats with one RBI and junior third baseman Remy Edwards connected in all three of her plate appearances, including a two-RBI home run in the seventh. Senior pitcher Paige Myers put together a quality start by going 5 innings, only allowing four hits and no earned runs with two strikeouts.

Junior outfielder Bree Lipscomb initiated the scoring in the second game with a RBI-single in the first before the Flashes answered with a RBI of their own in the second. In the fifth, Edwards drove in a runner with a single and Larrabee scored on a throwing error, but Kent State knotted things up in the sixth with a two-RBI double. The game remained tied until Larrabee served up a sacrifice fly ball in the tenth to send home Shuey for the winning run.

Logemann had a stellar outing on the mound with two earned runs on five hits with eight strikeouts in 6 innings of work.

"Today was the best I've ever seen us play," head coach Clarisa Crowell said. "We had a lot of contributions from people that are too many to count. They were great team wins; it wasn't just one or two players... We showed what kind of team we are. [Junior Kent State pitcher] Emma Johnson is one of the best pitchers in the conference and today we got her out in the fourth... We still need to get better, but our girls are confident and looking forward to getting back on the field."

The RedHawks hosting three doubleheaders this week as they host Northern Kentucky University 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. Wednesday, the University of Toledo 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Friday and Bowling Green State University 2 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. Sunday.