#HotSportsTakes: Time for Blasi to be fired

What's Going Downey

By Tom Downey

Enrico Blasi needs to be fired. He has never been able to win the big one and his hockey team just finished with a clunker of a season. It's time for him to go.

Blasi has done some great things for Miami, but it was all in the past. Over 300 wins, a Spencer Penrose Award for best coach, back-to-back Frozen Fours blah blah blah.

I don't care and neither should any of you. Division-I athletics is all about what have you done for me now. And what has Blasi done lately? Miami hasn't been to the Frozen Four since 2010. The Penrose Award was back in 2006. That's an eon in sports time.

The 'Hawks just finished 15-20-3. I mean seriously? This team was No. 1 in the nation early in the year. Yet they finished last in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference behind everyone. That's unacceptable. I expect more out of Miami hockey and you should too.

Yes, Miami made a nice late season run by advancing to the NCHC Championship game. But guess what? They lost another big game. It was a good effort and a ice-try, but, much like Blasi's size, the RedHawks came up short.

Coming up short has been an issue for Blasi's teams throughout his time as 'Hawk head honcho. Do you remember 2009? Here's the abridged version: Miami had an NCAA Championship in their hands. And they lost. Blew it. Choked. Whatever you want to call it.

It was the equivalent of having a breakaway chance with an empty net, and shooting it into the stands.

Let's face facts: Miami hockey is not where it should be right now. For the future of Miami hockey, it's time for Blasi to leave.

I don't care about his brand new contract extension. Miami just built the Armstrong Student Center and are about to build a new indoor facility for the rest of the sports at Miami. I'm no math major, but I'm fairly confident those projects cost a lot.

So bite down on the puck and take the hit. Take it out of my student fee for all I care.

Blasi's biggest problem is his foolish and misguided Brotherhood mantra. The whole idea of leaving the program better than you found it, playing for each other, the sense of inclusion and so on may seem great and noble but it doesn't matter in the long run. Winning isn't everything, it's just the only thing that matters.

It's one of the greatest problems with America today. Everyone grows up getting a medal. I mean seriously, I don't care if little Johnny tried real hard. There are winner and losers in life. And right now, Blasi and his team are losers.

So it's time to fire Blasi. For the good of Miami hockey.

If you haven't been able to tell already, this column isn't serious. It's a #hotsportstake, a parody of some of the junk that passes for sports journalism today. It's the writing equivalent of First Take. So don't take the column seriously, read it and have a good chuckle. In reality, Blasi is one of the best coaches in college hockey and Miami is lucky to have him. Anyone who actually suggests Blasi should be fired is a fool.