Miami's parking situation go from bad to worse; a senior's take on parking garage problems
Letter to the Editor
The week before spring break, around 12:55 in the afternoon, I entered the parking garage below the engineering building. It is always busy around this time, especially on a Wednesday. Today in particular, the garage seemed especially full as I searched for a spot. There are no warning lights at the entrance of the garage to indicate when it is full, so I unknowingly drove around each level of the garage, finding it to be completely filled.
By this time, it was 1:10 and I had already missed 10 vital minutes of my group project work time. Had I known the garage was full I would have simply parked off campus and walked, but wasting any more time at this point was not an option; so I was forced to bite the bullet and park in a yellow zone, as taking the extra 10 minutes to leave and park somewhere else was not a viable option. I've seen others park in the yellow zone repeatedly, with no ticket, so I figured I would chance it for at least the remainder of the class period.
I ran downstairs immediately after class to find my car ticketed. I am a fifth year software engineering student here, so I have seen this campus' parking situation go from bad to worse.
This leaves me to wonder: does the university care more about making money off the students from parking, or is it genuinely concerned with providing its students the best facilities and resources it can? If it were the latter, then enabling students to make it to class on time should be a prominent concern. As I see it, the parking garage is singlehandedly the student's largest deterrent to attend class, and it is only going to get worse as the student population grows each year.
They have not taken the effort to provide a "Full" indicator, or even a loop from the entrance to the exit drive so students may park somewhere else instead of searching for a space and wasting time. In the end, it seems Miami does not care about their student's time, just their money.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit