Miami's parking situation go from bad to worse; a senior's take on parking garage problems

Letter to the Editor

By Andy Shear

The week before spring break, around 12:55 in the afternoon, I entered the parking garage below the engineering building. It is always busy around this time, especially on a Wednesday. Today in particular, the garage seemed especially full as I searched for a spot. There are no warning lights at the entrance of the garage to indicate when it is full, so I unknowingly drove around each level of the garage, finding it to be completely filled.

By this time, it was 1:10 and I had already missed 10 vital minutes of my group project work time. Had I known the garage was full I would have simply parked off campus and walked, but wasting any more time at this point was not an option; so I was forced to bite the bullet and park in a yellow zone, as taking the extra 10 minutes to leave and park somewhere else was not a viable option. I've seen others park in the yellow zone repeatedly, with no ticket, so I figured I would chance it for at least the remainder of the class period.

I ran downstairs immediately after class to find my car ticketed. I am a fifth year software engineering student here, so I have seen this campus' parking situation go from bad to worse.

This leaves me to wonder: does the university care more about making money off the students from parking, or is it genuinely concerned with providing its students the best facilities and resources it can? If it were the latter, then enabling students to make it to class on time should be a prominent concern. As I see it, the parking garage is singlehandedly the student's largest deterrent to attend class, and it is only going to get worse as the student population grows each year.

They have not taken the effort to provide a "Full" indicator, or even a loop from the entrance to the exit drive so students may park somewhere else instead of searching for a space and wasting time. In the end, it seems Miami does not care about their student's time, just their money.