Domain ditch could cause email mayhem, IT warns

By Ellen Hancock For the Miami Student To underclassmen, the domain @muohio.edu may be unfamiliar, but faculty and upperclassmen will recognize this as the former web address for Miami University emails. Effective June 1, 2014, Miami's ownership of the @muohio.edu domain will officially expire and emails sent to old domain addresses will no longer be automatically forwarded. The domain change to the currently used @miamioh.edu occurred in 2012 when the President's Office and University Communications decided to switch the domain as a branding technique, after they conducted several surveys and focus groups, said Randy Howell, senior communications and web coordinator at Miami. "The domain was changed from @muohio to @miamioh in order to focus more on Miami versus Ohio and to promote the school as a more national brand," Howell said. Because Miami selected a new .edu address, Miami's rights to the old @muohio address are expiring. Jarret Cummings, the Director of External Communications at EDUCAUSE, the organization responsible for the distribution of .edu domains, spoke about why Miami can only have one active .edu domain at a time. "Under the agreement between EDUCAUSE and the United States Department of Commerce each academic accredited institution is only allowed one .edu domain at a time," Cummings said. This means that since Miami's email is now @miamioh.edu, the university can no longer use the @muohio.edu domain. Up until now, students and facility with the former domain address may not have been affected by the change since any emails sent to the old domain address were automatically forwarded to the new @miamioh.edu address. However, once the old domain is officially expired, any emails sent to it will be lost. Currently, Miami's Information Technology (IT) services are working to make the change easy for everyone involved by telling everyone how they can prepare for it. For example, Hollowell said IT has worked with List Serve to update all List Serves to the @miamioh domain. Likewise, IT services has worked with the alumni office in order to inform any graduated students or retired faculty that use the old email about the domain change. However, many students are unaware of the domain change and its potential impacts. "I guess I'm not really concerned," first-year Gina Cerbie said. "I just assume when I send an email that it's going to get where I need it to go." In reality, the domain switch could affect students more than they may think. If any non-Miami accounts have been registered with the old email your accounts could be affected by the domain change. This includes everything from social media accounts to banking accounts. Hollowell said he is aware that the domain change will affect students and has given some tips on how to prepare for the domain change, the first being to set up a filter in email accounts so any emails sent to a @muohio address are marked and the sender is informed about the domain change. Specifically bank, insurance or any other important accounts should be checked to see if the old domain is linked to the account. More information about the domain change, as well as a location to submit questions to IT services, can be found at MiamiOH.edu/Domain