Knolls of Oxford congratulated for service

By Jane Blazer

The Knolls of Oxford, the local non-profit retirement community, recently received the 2014 Holleran Highest Honors award for their outstanding service to their residents.

Holleran, a National Healthcare Research Firm, has researched and worked to serve senior living industries around the country for 20 years. Maple Knoll Village, headquarters of the Knolls retirement communities, hired Holleran to create survey to rate the service of the retirement community.

Director of Marketing at the Knolls of Oxford Laura Lacy said she thinks they scored so well thanks to their tremendous staff.

"I think the big part of why we do so well is our staff," Lacy said. "We have a wonderful staff. It doesn't matter what facilities you have or anything, but if you don't have a good staff, the scores won't go well."

Holleran recognized The Knolls of Oxford for achieving scores in the 90th percentile for each category. Those categories are overall satisfaction, value for price paid, long-term confidence and fulfillment of mission statement.

"The project itself started in September 2013 and then the surveys were distributed among the independent living residents in November," one of Holleran's client relations managers Mike Goodling said.

Goodling said Holleran collects all the information from the questions on the survey from the residents and they store it in a database. The questions are determined on a one through five scale.

"The residents rated certain things such as satisfaction with living there, how good is the food, how nice they took care of the grounds outside, those are the types of questions that are on the survey," Goodling said.

Holleran took the data The Knolls of Oxford collected and compared it to all the other data in their benchmark that was given to them by all the other retirement communities around the counties. The scores were analyzed, evaluated and combined and then compared to the other communities.

"It happened to be that the Knolls of Oxford, their scores fell into the 90th percentile in the entire retirement community industry," Goodling said. "In a lot of these areas, they were doing better than 90 percent of all the other retirement communities in the country that are clients of ours.

Lacy said she's been working at Knolls of Oxford for over 11 years and has enjoyed every minute of it.

"It's a wonderful place to work," Lacy said. "It's a new adventure everyday between the staff and the residents, so it's a fun place to work.

Miami junior and kinesiology major Hillary Cummings said she is thinking of applying to be an intern an the Knolls of Oxford.

"I am thinking of applying to a internship at the Knolls," Cummings said. "I think it's awesome they won the Holleran Highest Honors Award. It's great to know I could potentially be working for a great retirement community with great people."

Lacy said the Knolls of Oxford is thrilled to have won such an honor.

"We are just very proud we are honored with it and it just gives a testament to what our staff and what are management here can do," Lacy said. "We are motivated."