MU drops sixth straight game in loss to Akron

By Justin Maskulinski

The Miami University's women's basketball team got off to a slow start Wednesday at the University of Akron and fell 88-63.

The loss was the sixth Mid-American Conference loss in a row, as well as the final road game of the regular season for the RedHawks (7-19, 3-12 MAC).

The Zips (18-8, 12-3 MAC) hopped out in front of the RedHawks early, securing a 10-2 lead at the 15:55 mark of the first half.

"I think we definitely could have bounced back from [the early deficit]," freshman forward Nicole Anderson said. "It's nothing that hasn't happened to us before. It wasn't really going our way all night."

The 'Hawks' first field goal of the game was made at the 15:42 mark. The RedHawks pulled within four points of the Zips to make the score 15-11 in favor of Akron with 13:01 remaining.

The Zips, led by senior guard Hanna Luburgh's 24 first half points, led 48-29 at halftime.

The RedHawks began the second half with a 7-2 run, but the Akron lead proved to be insurmountable.

Senior guard Hannah Robertson, a recent inductee to Miami's 1,000-point club, led the Red and White in scoring with 12 points.

The RedHawks were also led by sophomore forward Hannah McCue, as she scored 11 points and snatched a team-high 10 rebounds.

"When I went in I hit my first two attempts," McCue said. "I got to the line a lot - I went seven of eight from the line and that was beneficial. With the rebounds, I crashed a lot today and I was lucky enough to get my hands on a couple. Defensively, I was just boxing out and going up and getting it."

Miami shot 28 percent from the field, making 15 of 54 attempts. The 'Hawks sunk five of 23 3-point attempts for a 22 percent 3-point field goal percentage.

The RedHawks turned the ball over 25 times in the loss, leading to 27 Akron points. The Zips committed 21 turnovers, leading to 21 Miami points.

The 'Hawks were sent to the charity stripe 34 times and converted on 28 of the attempts (82 percent). The RedHawks were shooting just under 75 percent as a team heading in to the game.

"We practice our free throws pretty much every day," McCue said. "We know that's a way that we can get easy points in the game. We work on that a lot."

Luburgh finished the game with 28 points. Senior forward Rachel Tecca added 21 points in the Zips' winning effort.

The RedHawks will be back in action 2 p.m. Saturday against the University at Buffalo (15-10, 8-6 MAC). Buffalo played a Thursday night game against Ohio University that wasn't completed before press.

Miami lost at Buffalo Jan. 30 in a close game, 58-56.

Saturday's game is the first of three straight home games to close out the regular season for the RedHawks.

"I think we are ready to fight," McCue said. "We have five seniors, and we're playing for them every minute of each game. We're going to try to go out with a big bang."