Police Beat (12/7/12)
OPD arrests student for underage drinking
Wednesday approximately 2:00 a.m., an Oxford Police Officer noticed a male standing outside of Brickstreet Bar & Grill with a large plastic cup in his hand containing a green liquid. The male turned his back to hide his drink and when the officer began to approach him, he dropped the cup and ran. The officer picked the cup up and noticed it contained an alcoholic beverage. When the officer asked for the male's driver's license, he said he did not have one. The officer asked him how he got into Brickstreet and he replied no one at the bar carded him or stopped him when he was leaving with the beverage. The officer asked again for identification and the male opened his wallet, explaining he did not have a driver's license, only his Miami identification card. The suspect was revealed to be 19-year old Jordan Winkler, according to OPD. He confirmed his identity at the police department and was charged with sale to and use by underage person, according to OPD. He was then released.
Drunken female falls asleep in Mercedes
Thursday approximately 2:30 a.m., a caller notified Oxford Police about a female who had stumbled into a silver Mercedes and driven away heading south on South Campus Avenue. The officer located the car parked on the 200 block of S. Campus Avenue. The officer parked across the street and walked up to the car. Inside, a woman was slumped over the steering wheel asleep. When the officer knocked on the window she woke up and said she needed to walk home. The officer asked her to get out of the car and she replied she was waiting for her friend who was Uptown. The officer detected a strong odor of alcohol coming from the woman, and when asked for her identification, she knocked over her purse, spilling the contents. She was identified as Miami senior Jessica Hesse, according to OPD. She said her friend had driven the car from Skipper's Pub, parked, and went to his fraternity house to sleep. Hesse said she would not drive but wanted to wait in the car. The officer asked her to step out of the vehicle. She proceeded to fail all three field sobriety tests, according to OPD. The officer took her to the station where she agreed to a breath test, and blew .127. She was placed under arrest for operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol and was then released to her boyfriend, according to OPD.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?