Judge dismisses rape flier case
News sources The Cincinnati Enquirer and TV channel WCPO reported that charges were dropped in the case against a former Miami University student who posted a flier discussing "Top 10 Ways to Get Away with Rape."
The former student previously plead guilty to disorderly conduct, but the case was dismissed following a suit by The Cincinnati Enquirer against Butler County Area I Court Judge Robert Lyons, who was overseeing the case.
The Enquirer is suing with the belief that Lyons should not have sealed the case, thereby preventing the former student's identity from being reported.
After the charges were dismissed, Lyons sealed the case again, according to news sources.
There have been no new developments in the internal judicial process of the university, which is different and separate from the case that was heard by the Butler County Court, according to Claire Wagner, associate director of university communications.
"The culpability on campus - the level is higher, where as in the court system for an infraction, in general, there is beyond a reasonable doubt," Wagner said. "It's happened before where a student might face consequences for an action; different outcomes happen on campus versus in the courts."
Attempts by The Miami Student to obtain information from Butler County Courts and the Butler County Prosecutor's Office were unsuccessful.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit