Opinion | Combined farmers' markets beneficial for entire community

By Editorial Board

At a meeting Dec. 4, 2012, Oxford City Council decided to merge the Talawanda Farmers' Market and the Uptown Farmers' Market. The two markets will now sell seasonal produce and other goods in the Uptown Park during the same schedule.

The Miami Student editorial board feels this will be a beneficiary change to all those involved and affected. The two markets will no longer have to compete for business, and can collaborate for business. This move Uptown will put the market within walking distance for all students and will hopefully entice more students to purchase fresh, local goods. The decision to merge will be good for community farmers, as it will bring a chance to expand business.

Formerly, only vendors who lived in the Talawanda school district were allowed to sell products at the Talawanda school market. But with the revision of this rule all local farmers will be able to sell in the same location at the same time as everyone else. Having one farmers' market will be helpful for the farmers, shoppers and others who are interested.

The two farmers' markets could also raise awareness among Miami students, who make a significant impact on the local community and businesses in Oxford. Students will now be able to stop Uptown on the weekend and make purchases that will support local businesses and local farmers. By participating in the farmers' markets, students can also get to know members of the community better and help to support them.