Opinion | School security and "the hidden curriculum"
Educational reformers back in the 1960's talked about "the hidden curriculum," the idea that the most important lessons schools teach are the ones repeated in each class and in the school generally, in the methods of instruction and the way school life is managed, in what values are inculcated silently, throughout the school day.
So you have to consider what's being taught by the method of lecturing and grading by Scantron exams, by dividing knowledge up by disciplines, by punishing kids for arguing their points of view.
For the next few weeks, we should consider what's being taught by school security.
It's a fact that school shootings are rare and that "lockdown" is an expression from prisons. It's a fact that "freedom isn't free" and that a major question is who pays what.
What values does it teach kids if we restrict their freedom greatly for marginal increases in safety? What does it teach if we make school campuses more like prisons or armed camps so that some adults are free to buy whatever semi-automatic rifles and rifle magazines they want?
What are we teaching kids about dealing with the world when it's taboo-"insensitive"-to talk about risks and statistics and suggest that liberty even for children might be worth asking them and their parents to risk catastrophes that are horrific when they happen, but really, really unlikely to happen?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit
- Pinching Penny Stocks May Be the Wise Way to Invest