By Staff

Police dog discovers marijuana in vehicle

Sunday around 12:56 a.m., Oxford Police Department (OPD) officers observed a Ford Escape illegally turn around while driving on the 0 block of West High Street. The driver did a second illegal u-turn before parking in front of The Apple Tree. While the driver was being questioned, officers noticed a strong odor of alcohol on his breath and a colored wristband. The male was identified as sophomore William Ellerhorst, according to OPD. When Ellerhorst reached into his wallet for his license the officer spotted a second ID that did not belong to him. When asked for his age, Ellerhorst responded that he was 18 years old, according to OPD. However, the officer examined his ID and confirmed that Ellerhorst is 19 years old. There was an open can of Coors Light on the back seat floor which appeared to be half empty, according to OPD. A K-9 was brought to the scene to search the vehicle and two grams of marijuana were recovered, according to OPD. Ellerhorst stated that the marijuana and beer did not belong to him, but belonged to his friends who he had just dropped off at a bar. He was charged with OVI, sales to and use by underage persons, possession of controlled substance and an illegal u-turn, according to OPD.

Student unknowingly urinates on church

Sunday around 1:53 a.m., an OPD officer observed a male urinating on the south side wall of Saint Mary's Catholic Church, 111 E. High St. The officer stopped the male and identified him as 20-year-old junior Shawn Love, according to OPD. Love did not have his ID on him, but officers were able to confirm that the name and date of birth he gave were in fact correct. The first thing Love said was that he was sorry, according to OPD. He then admitted to the officer "I have drank too much," according to OPD. When asked if he knew he was urinating on a church, he said that he would never knowingly pee on a church, according to OPD. Officers issued him a citation for offenses involving underage persons and disorderly conduct, according to OPD.

First-year male passes out on High Street

Friday around 12:29 a.m., an OPD officer responded to a call on 1 E. High St. where a male was found passed out on the sidewalk under an outside table. The officer immediately observed a green and white wristband on the male. As the officer was talking to the male, he noticed a strong odor of alcohol, according to OPD. When asked where he had been drinking, the subject pointed to Skyline Chile. The subject, identified as first-year John Fowlds, said he did not have much to drink, according to OPD. The Oxford life squad arrived on the scene and helped Fowlds to his feet. Fowlds denied treatment from the life squad and was cited for sales to and use by underage persons and disorderly conduct, according to OPD.

By Staff