RedHawks school WSU

By Kennan Belau
On December 6, 2012

The Miami University women's basketball team improved to 5-3 on the season, defeating Wright State University (WSU) 72-52 at its fifth annual Class at the Court game Tuesday. Over 1,600 students from the Talawanda School District were in attendance for the game, and got to meet the players and coaches after the game.

"This is my favorite game of the year," Head Coach Maria Fantanarosa said. "Of course the atmosphere in here is a lot of fun, but the purpose behind this is the best part."

Senior forward Kirsten Olowinski made Miami history for the second consecutive game, as she became the 21st player in school history, joining senior guard Courtney Osborn, to score 1,000 career points. Olowinski hit the milestone at the 17:01 mark in the second half when she made two free throws, and finished with 12 points and 17 rebounds. The double-double was her third of the season and 33rd of her career, two short of the school record.

"It's a great accomplishment," Olowinski said. "It gives you that much more pride in being a Miami athlete."

Osborn, who missed Saturday's game due to a head injury, returned to action Tuesday and she did not miss a beat, finishing with a team-high 16 points and five rebounds.

"I'm doing good," Osborn said. "They wouldn't let me play if I wasn't good. It's good to be back on the court."

The RedHawks, sparked by the energy provided by the students, started the game on a 13-0 run. Junior guard Hannah Robertson had five points in the run, while junior guard Haley Robertson and Osborn added three pointers as well.

"These kids have so much energy, they bring so much," Osborn said. "To not have energy [on the court] would be a disservice to them."

After the Raiders scored seven unanswered points, Miami responded with their second 13-0 run in the first ten minutes to push the lead to 26-7. Osborn had five of the points in that run, and four other RedHawks added baskets. WSU trimmed the Miami lead to 29-19 with 3:51 left in the first half, but that would be the closest the Raiders got the rest of the game. Miami closed the first half on a 10-2 run to open up a 39-21 lead at the half.

The RedHawks built their lead to 20 early in the second half, taking a 54-34 lead at the 15:18 mark off of a Hannah Robertson layup. That would be the largest lead of the game, as the RedHawks cruised to a 72-54 victory.

"I think we took a very big step forward as a team," Olowinski said. "It was great."

Hannah Robertson finished with 15 points and junior forward Erica Almady recorded her second double-double of the season with 14 points and 12 rebounds. The RedHawks, who never trailed, shot 44.6 percent from the field (29-for-65) and hit eight three pointers. Miami also outrebounded Wright State 49-35 and held the Raiders to 30.3 percent (20-for-66) shooting.

"Our players are starting to take more pride in [rebounding]," Fantanarosa said. "Erica and Kirsten have made it their mission."

Tuesday's game was the last home non-conference game for the RedHawks, as they begin a stretch of seven road games Saturday at 2:00 p.m. against Cleveland State University. The Vikings are 3-4 on the season, but have won their last two games, including a win at Indiana University.

"Our schedule is going to get more competitive," Fantanarosa said. "We're not going to focus on home and away so much as taking our next step against better competition."