Miami introduces Sayler as new athletic director

By Tom Downey and JM Rieger
On December 13, 2012

Miami University President David Hodge introduced David Sayler as the school's 16th Athletic Director (AD) Thursday. Sayler comes to Miami from the University of South Dakota (USD), where he served as Athletic Director for two and a half years.

Sayler replaces former Miami Athletic Director Brad Bates, who took the same position at Boston College in October. Sayler will officially begin his tenure in January 2013.

"I'm honored and I'm really thrilled to be here," Sayler said at a 3 p.m. press conference Thursday. "You look at the legacy of the coaches and frankly just the administrators ... I don't take this lightly in terms of the responsibility. The history of Miami and the respect I have for it; it's an awesome place."

While at South Dakota, Sayler secured membership in the Missouri Valley Football Conference and a $20 million private donation, the largest in the school's athletic history. In addition, USD student-athletes had a 3.1 grade point average during Sayler's tenure.

Sayler served as Rice University's Senior Executive Athletic Director and Interim Athletic Director over a four year period. Sayler also spent time at Oregon State University and Bowling Green State University (BGSU).

Hodge said the three traits Miami looked for were a good business background, an ability to enhance revenue streams and the ability to attract and develop coaches.

"During all of these times that he's been at these different places, he's been developing the qualities that I think will make him a great athletic director," Hodge said.

Sayler began the press conference thanking the Miami administration, South Dakota and his past mentors, including Northwestern University AD Jim Phillips, Texas Christian University AD Chris Del Conte and former BGSU AD Paul Krebs.

Collegiate Sports Associates' Todd Turner conducted the search along with Miami's 17-person AD Search Committee.

The 43-year old Sayler graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1991 with a degree in Accounting. Sayler said he is looking forward to meeting Miami alumni.

"The top of my to-do list is to get to as many alumni as possible and start raising money," he said.