Mother's Day runners to show mom love in Loveland

By Mackenzie Clune
On May 5, 2014

An estimated 200 friends and family members will come out to Loveland, Ohio to participate in Cincy Nation's 2014 Mother's Day Race. The organization's owner Jeff McMahon founded Cincy Nation Run in 2012.

In 2013, Cincy Nation Run hosted a mud run and has progressed over the past year, hosting four races this year to benefit local charities and promote togetherness.

"I didn't want our races to just help one cause at a time, I want our runners to know that by participating in our races they are helping many causes all at once," McMahon said. We are a one-stop shop for helping out our local community. We wanted to focus on teams of three or more to help families work together to finish the race, for a team of athletes to band together and cross the finish line as a unit. Also to incentivize people to bring their friends to enjoy our races."

The Mother's Day 5K is centered on the slogan, "Nothing is more important than your family!" Students at Miami who plan to participate in the race said they are looking forward to spending quality time with their families.

"My mom and I have always run together; it's our thing. We are so excited to run together in honor of Mother's Day, on Saturday," Miami sophomore Ally Ferran said.

The race will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Saturday, May 10 at Nibet Park, located at the intersection of Karl Brown Way and Harrison Street in Loveland, Ohio. Registration is $30 for adults and $15 for children 13 and under.

Other participants were motivated to run in the Mother's Day 5K after learning the donations will benefit local charities.

"In high school, I was the President of Blazers Against Cancer - a club that advocates the progression of cancer research," first-year Bela Bacidore said. "Running the Mother's Day 5K will be very rewarding knowing that nonprofit organizations backing cancer will be supported in the process."

Bacidore has a close family friend who is a breast cancer survivor, making nonprofit organizations, such as The Dragonfly Foundation, one of the 10 charities involved, that much closer to her heart.

Founded in 2010, The Dragonfly Foundation strives to bring ease and happiness to children and young adults fighting cancer and other blood diseases. The foundation selected the dragonfly to represent their mission as it embodies the qualities of living life to the fullest by symbolizing survival, the richness of life and victory.

"Our general feeling toward Cincy Nation Run is that they have great intentions," said The Dragonfly Foundation's Community Relation and Event Manager Brandon Davidson. "The idea of bringing Cincinnati-based nonprofits together in effort to raise funds and awareness is truly a wonderful idea. As with any new organization, Cincy Nation Run may take some time before the city gets fully behind the race. I can see hundreds of people participating in Cincy Nation Run races in the future."

Another organization which inspired a student to register for the race is League for Animal Welfare, a no-kill, nonprofit shelter in Cincinnati. League for Animal Welfare is the most prominent and first established adoption center and no-kill shelter in the Cincinnati area.

"I have volunteered at local animal shelters for several years in Chicago," Miami first-year Lindsey Mata said. "I love this event because I know a shelter will greatly benefit from the participation."

Cincy Nation's mission is to "Give where you live," which applies not only to the local nonprofit organizations, but also to the members of the community. In hopes of creating an environment of camaraderie and bringing loved ones together, participants are strongly encouraged to sign up in teams of three or more people.

"A group of five friends and I are planning to run in the Mother's Day 5K this Saturday," Mata said.

In hopes of encouraging kids to participate and stay active within the community, teams with four or more people are eligible to win a $300 gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods.

"We figured if we had prizes great enough, that people would want to bring their friends--because the more people we get at our races, the more help we can do in our community." McMahon said.