Opinon | Students should appreciate nationally ranked synchronized skating team

By Editorial Board

Miami University's varsity skating teams competed and took top ranks during the 2012 US Synchronized Skating Championships.

The Miami University Collegiate, Junior and Senior synchronized skating teams competed against other teams from across the country in Worcester, Mass. Feb. 29 through March 3.

The Junior and Senior teams placed seventh and third, respectively, while the Collegiate team won its 14th overall and 8th consecutive national title, tying with Michelle Kwan for the most national titles won.

Throughout their seasons, the Junior and Senior teams also traveled to international competitions, representing the United States in Austria and France while competing against some of the best teams in the world.

The editorial board of The Miami Student congratulates the synchronized skating teams and their coaches on an excellent job this season but would like to see more student recognition for the teams.

Too often students associate top athletics at Miami with hockey, basketball or football. The skating teams embody the idea of the Culture of Champions with national and international success.

These athletes train day in and day out but go largely unrecognized by the student body, that puts more focus on hockey as a top sport at Miami.

Although synchronized skating is not an NCAA sport, Miami University ranks as one of the top competitors in the sport, both nationally and internationally.

When these athletes showcase their talents at hockey game intermissions, they deserve an involved and attentive audience.

The Miami University Varsity Synchronized Skating teams consist of more than 60 women who have dedicated themselves to a sport they are truly passionate about.

The teams have seen accomplishment on both national and international stages and deserve the attention of an audience closer to home.