New design for police cruisers

By Kelly Higginson

The Oxford Police Department (OPD) will be changing the design of 20 police cruisers this spring. Unlike years past, the OPD has decided on wrapping the cars with panels instead of painting them.

The OPD updates the cruisers each year from damages and scratches. Patrol Sergeant Jon Varley works with the cruisers on a daily basis and manages parking.

"This year, we want to present a new image that will be more noticeable to people," Varley said. "We are finally getting away from what we used to do with re-painting them and wrapping the cars in black and white."

According to Varley, to paint the cruisers costs $18,000 and to wrap is only $11,000.

"It's a much cheaper process. We are going with a different company than before and essentially all they do is wrap a big sticker around the car," Varley said.

The re-design process starting this spring will take a whole year to change all 20 of the police vehicles.

In addition to the year-long cruiser redesign process, OPD also has updated their computer software to portable tablets, making it easier and more efficient to carry around outside of the cruisers.

"The tablets are similar to an iPad, and they are much cheaper than the computers and easier to carry," Varley said. "We can do our reports on them outside of the vehicles which is a nice upgrade."

The changes being made for this next year not only benefit the OPD officers, but the whole city of Oxford, Varley said.

"In the long run, we are saving tax payers a lot of money, because when the cruisers get damaged, it's usually worth a thousand dollars or more," Varley said. "The new wrap panels will save us money with repairs down the road, as well as save the city and tax payers money."