New design for police cruisers
The Oxford Police Department (OPD) will be changing the design of 20 police cruisers this spring. Unlike years past, the OPD has decided on wrapping the cars with panels instead of painting them.
The OPD updates the cruisers each year from damages and scratches. Patrol Sergeant Jon Varley works with the cruisers on a daily basis and manages parking.
"This year, we want to present a new image that will be more noticeable to people," Varley said. "We are finally getting away from what we used to do with re-painting them and wrapping the cars in black and white."
According to Varley, to paint the cruisers costs $18,000 and to wrap is only $11,000.
"It's a much cheaper process. We are going with a different company than before and essentially all they do is wrap a big sticker around the car," Varley said.
The re-design process starting this spring will take a whole year to change all 20 of the police vehicles.
In addition to the year-long cruiser redesign process, OPD also has updated their computer software to portable tablets, making it easier and more efficient to carry around outside of the cruisers.
"The tablets are similar to an iPad, and they are much cheaper than the computers and easier to carry," Varley said. "We can do our reports on them outside of the vehicles which is a nice upgrade."
The changes being made for this next year not only benefit the OPD officers, but the whole city of Oxford, Varley said.
"In the long run, we are saving tax payers a lot of money, because when the cruisers get damaged, it's usually worth a thousand dollars or more," Varley said. "The new wrap panels will save us money with repairs down the road, as well as save the city and tax payers money."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Miami Student News Articles
Recent The Miami Student News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE MIAMI STUDENT NEWS
- President Hodge, others celebrate Miami Merger with Chinese wedding reenactment
- Art opens seniors' minds
- 'Documented:' A personal story powerfully told
- Roxford music fest rocks Uptown Park
- Summer at the cinema: Must-see movies
- WARNING: This university may contain traces of gluten
- Scholarships abound, students achieve
RECENT THE MIAMI STUDENT CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit