RHA hosts Mardi Gras Masquerade

By Kendall Powell

Pull out your purple and green beads and put on your feathered masks, because it is time for Mardi Gras.

The Residence Hall Association (RHA) is hosting a semi-formal Mardi Gras-themed party 7-10 p.m. Saturday, March 1 at the Armstrong Student Center (ASC) Pavilion C. The RHA has been promoting the Mardi Gras Masquerade with flyers and signs in ASC and other dining halls.

In the past, this event was open exclusively to the community leadership teams, but now it is open to all students who live on campus, sophomore Alyssa Zediker said.  This change reflects Miami University's policy of having an inclusive and inviting community. The event is free for all on-campus residents.

As many people know, Mardi Gras is known for its outlandish dress and ornate masks. However, this event has a semi-formal dress code: dresses, skirts or nice pants. Masks are not required, but they are suggested. However, Zediker said, there will be a make-your-own mask station, equipped with plenty of feathers and glitter, for those who do not come prepared.

"This has been a big planning process for the past month or so," she said.

In addition to the craft station there will be hors d'oeuvres, drinks and dancing. Miami's Carillon Catering will provide the food.

"I just want a good turn-out and for everyone to have a fun time," first-year Ashka Patel, who helped plan the event, said.

Mardi Gras, also known as Fat Tuesday, will be celebrated March 4this year. Outside of Oxford, many cities, like New Orleans and St. Louis, celebrate the occasion with grandiose festivals.