By Staff

Male breaks through window of local church

Saturday around 4 a.m., the Oxford Police Department (OPD) was dispatched to McCullough-Hyde Memorial Hospital in reference to a subject claiming he was slashed with a broken beer bottle.

The subject had several lacerations on his forearm and tricep that required stitches as well as an abrasion on his forehead and nose. The doctor said an unknown male dropped the subject off at the hospital.

Another male was sitting in the waiting room but did not know what had happened to the subject. The OPD followed up the next evening with the subject who said he did not remember anything from the previous night except dancing at Brick Street Bar & Grill then waking up in the hospital.

The OPD talked to Brick Street staff and found an employee who had escorted the subject out that night. The employee said the victim was on the dance floor struggling to stand upright, so the employee walked him out the back door. The employee waited with the subject for 5 minutes until his friend came. They began walking down the alley when the employee heard glass break. The Brick Street employee said he saw the victim stumble away from a broken window on the south side of the Oxford United Methodist Church. The subject and his friend then got in a parked car and drove to the hospital.

On Sunday night, the subject still did not remember what happened and could not find anyone who saw he was assaulted. It appears now there was no assault, instead the subject stumbled and broke the window of the church and his injuries were self inflicted, according to OPD. The OPD is following up with the church to decide if charges will be pressed.

Police arrest first-year male with green drink

Sunday, around 12:57 a.m., an Oxford Police Department (OPD) officer conducting a bar check at Brick Street Bar observed a male subject holding a clear cup containing a bright green drink, according to OPD. The officer approached the male and identified him as 19-year-old first-year David Forsythe, according to OPD. Forsythe was placed under arrest and cited with sales to and use by underage persons, according to OPD.

Bar check and Bud Light leads to arrest

Sunday, approximately 1:18 a.m., OPD conducted a bar check at Woody's One Up Bar, 11 S. Main St. While in the bar, the officer observed a male holding a bottle of Bud Light beer. When the male noticed the officer he turned away and handed the bottle to the person next to him. The officer approached the male and identified him as 19-year-old junior Michael Gehring, according to OPD. Gehring was also found to be in possession of a fake Connecticut driver's license, according to OPD. Gehring was cited with sales to and use by underage persons and certain acts prohibited, according to OPD.

By Staff