ASG receives update on construction hears resignation of treasurer, senators

By Victoria Slater

Senior Director of Auxiliary Construction and Facilities Matthew Frericks presented Miami University's Long Range Construction Master Plan to the Associated Student Government (ASG) during its first meeting of the semester Tuesday.

Frericks said he has led the renovation construction efforts on campus since 2007. He reviewed the plans of Phase I of the Housing and Dining Plan with ASG in the most detail, yet cited that the last of the three phases of the restoration will conclude in 2026.

Phase I encompasses construction to South Campus, Maple Street, Western Campus and a complete overhaul of East Campus residence halls; Phase II comprises renovations to North Campus and Phase III will complete with refurbishment to Peabody Hall.

According to Frericks, the most significant construction currently transpiring is the development of MapleStreet Station, Etheridge Hall, which is a new residence hall on Southern Campus, and renovations to Bishop Hall. This section of phase I will be complete by July 2013.

Frericks said MapleStreet Station will feature a series of seven restaurants along Maple Street, including a deli, a pizza place, a patisserie, a traditional hamburger place, a diner that offers breakfast throughout the entire day and two other eateries inspired by the Pacific and Central and South America.

Above the restaurants, a 90-bed residence hall will be erected. Frericks said the residence hall will include a variety of individual housing sections, like a 15-bed apartment. Each housing section will include its own kitchen, study room, bathroom, and recreational room, meant to emphasize the living learning community atmosphere.

"You will be a part of the community of your house, and it will really reinforce the living learning communities that are important on campus," Frericks said. "I think it's going to be a great concept. It will greatly improve the community."

Perpendicular to MapleStreet Station, Etheridge Hall is undergoing construction in the MET Quad. The new residence hall will possess the same style of housing sections that MapleStreet Station will, but at a much larger scale, by adding 232 beds.

As a result of this construction, Frericks noted that Scott and Hamilton dining halls will close permanently.

At the conclusion of Frerick's presentation, President of the Senate senior Peter Dougherty announced that seniors Katie Knable and Taylor Seitz and first-year Mark Gamble had resigned from Senate due to time commitment issues. Elections to fill these positions will occur at next week's meeting.

Subsequently, President of the Student Body senior John Stefanski revealed that Treasurer senior Alex Busam resigned after his appointment to the presidency of his fraternity, Beta Theta Pi. Stefanski explained that Busam could not thoroughly perform his duties as treasurer while in the position of president of his fraternity.

"We discussed whether he would be able to carry out his role [as treasurer] in the capacity that I find acceptable while carrying out his role as president [of Beta Theta Pi] in the capacity I find acceptable for that as well," Stefanski said. "In about three weeks we will have a special election to fulfill the open position."