Olympic dreams in the trashcan

By Daniel Humen

There was no shortage of red, white and blue in Oxford last Friday as hundreds of Miami University students packed into the Uptown bars to watch the USA vs. Canada Olympic hockey game.

Last weekend, Brick Street Bar and Grille opened its doors at 7 a.m. for the USA vs. Russia Olympic hockey game and received great publicity after a video of the event went viral. The video, which featured the crowd's reactions throughout the game, was featured on totalfratmove.com and Channel 5 Sports in the days following. With beers flying, bar-wide "USA" chants, and a reenactment of the 1980 "Miracle" speech before the game began, Brick Street was deemed "The most American bar in America" across the Internet.

After an exciting win against Russia, Miami students were more than ready to head back to Brick Street this past weekend to watch team USA take on Canada. While the doors opened at 11 a.m. for the noon game, some students were there as early as 9:30 a.m. to ensure they would find a good spot in front of one of several flat screen TVs at the bar.

Sporting hockey jerseys or patriotic apparel, with American flags in hand, students gathered around the screens as they waited for the game to begin.

Junior Alex Sandberg was not able to make last weekend's USA vs. Russia game, but as an avid hockey fan, she arrived with her friends at 11:30 a.m. on Friday morning for the game against Canada.

"Hockey's my favorite sport, and Miami's a school of hockey, which is why I came here," Sandberg said.

By the time the game started at noon, Brick Street was so packed that there was little room to walk around, and students were saying it could take up to 15 minutes to be served at the bar.

Plenty of pitchers of beer and Brick Street's famous mixed drink, "the Trashcan," were still sold, however, so many in fact the bar temporarily ran out of the blue coloring that is signature in Trashcans.

Seniors Mark Woerner and Matt Herbst were at the bar for both games, and Herbst described the crowd for the USA vs. Canada game as "10 times as big as before."

"When we got here we couldn't move, but last game we got a table right away," Herbst said. Although the bar was crowded, both Woerner and Herbst described the rowdy atmosphere as awesome.

First-year Peter Stanifer arrived at Brick Street around 12:30 p.m., but left for The Wood's soon after because it was too crowded and he couldn't see the TV screens.

"New Bar [The Woods) was quiet at first but it picked up at 1:00 p.m.," Stanifer said. "By third period it was pretty crowded and by the end of the game it was packed."

With team USA down by one point in the final minutes of the game, the atmosphere in Brick Street was full of nervous excitement. Although the United States ultimately couldn't bring in a win on Friday, beers still flew and the patriotic afternoon continued as students left the bar, American flags held high.