Students gear up for summer music festivals across the country

By Claire Krieger

Summer is quickly approaching, bringing with it the prime season for music festival-goers. Each year many Miami University students attend music festivals all over the country. Junior Evan Trout will attend Lollapalooza in Chicago for the first time this year.

"I've never been to a festival before but I know a lot of people who have," Trout said. "From what it sounds I think it's going to be a really cool atmosphere."

There are a lot of variables to consider when choosing which festival to attend. These include the genres of the artists performing, location, cost, length and the feel of the festival. Some festivals transform a field into a music-lovers paradise for a few days while others take over an already existing amphitheater or stage. Some festivals are one day and others last for several. While you may be drawn to a festival because of one or two headliners, do some research beforehand so you have a few bands in mind that you would like to see during the day. Festivals are set apart by their length and the variety of artists they offer to spectators.

Junior CJ Blankenship will also be attending Lollapalooza this August, it being his fourth year in a row.

"A music festival is something everyone should experience at least once," Blankenship said. "It's great because you see acts that you would never think you would see otherwise. There are a lot of up-and-coming artists that are unknown and the concerts are all only one price."

Once you have decided what your preferences are in all of these categories, start researching to find your perfect festival for you. Below is a cheat sheet for some local and a few national festivals to whet the musical appetites of festival-goers everywhere.

Country Concert

Date: July 5-7

Location: Ft. Loramie, Ohio

Headliners and other notables: Zac Brown Band, Blake Shelton, Eric Church, Luke Bryan, Justin Moore, Sara Evans and

Jake Owen.

Summerfest

Date: June 27-July 1, July 3-8

Location: Milwaukee, Wis.

Headliners and other notables: Rascal Flatts, Aerosmith, Big Time Rush, Iron Maiden, The Beach Boys, Zac Brown Band, Neil Diamond, Lady Antebellum, Hanson, Gavin DeGraw and

Lupe Fiasco.

Jamboree in the Hills

Date: July 19-22

Location: Belmont, Ohio

Headliners and other notables: Jason Aldean, Ronnie Dunn, Rascal Flatts, Charlie Daniels, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Eili Young Band, Lee Brice and David Nail.

Lollapalooza

Date: August 3-5

Location: Chicago, Ill.

Headliners and other notables: Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Black Keys, Black Sabbath, Jack White, Florence & the Machine, The Shins, Passion Pit, Fun, Sigur Ros and Franz Ferdinand.

Bunbury

Date: July 13-15

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio

Headliners and other notables: Jane's Addiction, Weezer, Death Cab for Cutie, Motion City Soundtrack, Neon Trees, Passion Pit, O.A.R. and Grouplove.

Bamboozle

Date: Ashbury Park, N.J.

Location: May 18-20

Headliners and other notables: Skrillex, Foo Fighters, Bon Jovi, Blink-182, Incubus, Mac Miller, All American Rejects, The Gaslight Anthem, Boys Like Girls, The Maine and Cris Cab.

Rock on the Range

Date: May 18-20

Location: Columbus, Ohio

Headliners and other notables: Incubus, Shinedown, Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Slash, Anthrax and The Darkness.

Bonnaroo

Date: June 7-10

Location: Manchester, Tenn.

Headliners and other notables: Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Phish, The Beach Boys, Bon Iver, The Shins, Foster the People, Skrillex and The Roots.

Vans Warped Tour

Date: June-August

Location: Various stops across the country

Headliners and other notables: New Fond Glory, Taking Back Sunday, Rise Against, Yellowcard, Streetlight Manifesto, We the Kings, Miss May I, Machine Gun Kelly, Breathe Carolina

and Fireworks.