Cherub 'doses' out beats at Brick

By Billy Rafael

Electronic dance music (EDM) has quickly become a staple on college campuses, finding its way into parties, clubs and concerts. However, to describe Cherub, the duo that took the stage at Brick Street last week, as EDM would be a bit of a generalization. The electronic quality and the dance vibe of their sound are only two small pieces of a bigger puzzle.

The first thing anyone who sees the duo live will tell you is that these guys bring energy with them. Self-described as "music from the future," they use their sound and lights to transport you to a different place. Only making music for several years together, the two members have released two full albums and few EPs but came into the public eye after the release of their hit single "Doses and Mimosas" off of their 2012 album "MoM & DaD."

"'Doses and Mimosas' rocked the night," sophomore Andrew Lombardi said. "It was clear that was what people had come for."

While it's safe to say most of the crowd was only familiar with the pair's single, you wouldn't be able to tell from the way the audience was getting into the music. The self-admitting new fans were just as into the performance as those that had been listening for years.

"I wasn't really familiar with their music before today," senior Kristin Bell said. "But the atmosphere for concerts at Brick is always so exciting."

Brick Street plans to keep that atmosphere going with a full lineup planned for the rest of March, including a rare set of back-to-back Saturday night concerts. First up is hip-hop powerhouse Pusha T March 8 who recently made headlines at the end of last year with his debut album "My Name Is My Name." After a couple brief stints opening for Kanye West in the winter, he set out on his first headlining tour for the new album.

The following week Brick Street will be bringing in G-Eazy as part of his "These Things Happen" tour. This Oakland-raised rapper has been putting out albums since 2009 but has just been gaining real momentum as of late, working with artists like Hoodie Allen and Shwayze. Opening for him will be Rockie Fresh and Kurt Rockmore.

Miami students are acknowledging Brick Street's efforts in providing a quality concert scene for the campus.

"Brick has been killing it with each concert they announce," sophomore Ed Krulewitch said. "I hope they keep them coming for the rest of the semester."

To find out more information on concerts or to buy tickets visit Brick Street or go to www.brickstreetbar.com.