Local film series urges MU students to go green

By Ariel Wiley

The Oxford Community Arts Center (OCAC) is collaborating with ICCWG, (Interfaith Climate Change Work Group) to create a series of films called the Green Screen Film Series to show students and families the way the environment is today compared to what it has been in recent past.

OCAC will show a film one Wednesday out of the month at 7 p.m. in the North Parlor room.

The first film, Defend the Gulf, will be shown Feb. 13. Defend the Gulf is about the BP oil disaster and the efforts to rebuild the Gulf after the disaster.

Last Call at the Oasis will be on March 27. This film will show all the roles water plays in people's everyday lives and it will show the problems with the current system.

And the last film, Switch, will be screened April 10. Switch is about the exploration of the world's biggest and most powerful energy areas.

Erica Fox, vice president of communications for Green Oxford, talked about the message behind the films.

"Awareness about the environment, it helps students to figure out how to make their lives more sustainable and environmentally friendly," Fox said. "Usually we have a professor talk about the film afterwards for discussion and students are welcome to join the talk."

Peyton Allen, vice president of projects for Green Oxford, said the ICCWG partnered with Green Oxford to get more students to attend the film series.

"The ICCWG have been doing Green Screen since 2009 and they just really wanted more student involvement since the Oxford Community Art Center is walkable for any student on campus," Allen said. "There is a very big disconnect between Miami University and the Oxford community. The ICCWG just wanted more student involvement." Allen said he has heard interest from students in improving the environment.

"Students want to know, 'how can I help and what can I do about this?' and the great thing about Green Screen is we can talk about how we can make a positive change in the environment," Allen said.

Fox, along with other members from Green Oxford, want Miami students to be aware of the amount of water they use and to try not to waste too much, which is discussed in Last Call to the Oasis.

Caroline Croswell, executive director of the Oxford Community Arts Center said the OCAC has partnered with ICCWG several times to put on the film series.

"It is a fantastic opportunity for us to work with them and we were happy to do it," Croswell said.